Who are your go-to guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are your go-to guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who are your go-to guys?

Postby bellings » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:54 am

Who are the guys that you pick up in the last couple rounds, or pick up off the WW when someone goes down? I'm talking about the vets that you know won't do something magical, but they're always there for you. I've got 2:

M. Alou: It was good while it lasted. He puts up great stats when he's healthy. If he works out this back problem, he's worth a spot in most rosters. He's just so consistently good that he's the player that you can put in when you bench someone in a slump.

R. Ibanez: I may have to take back that magical comment, because this last month has been magical. I doubt that he's available in any leagues now, so hopefully you picked him up early. He's a great addition in any 12-man league.

Honorable mention:

J. Rincon: I reached a bit and took him with the 172th pick of the draft, but we do count holds so that boosts his value. Even if your league doesn't count holds, pick this guy up!!!!
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flowbee » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:48 am

Julio Franco
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:48 am

When I need infielders it's:

Bill Mueller (DL right now) - picked him up when Chipper went down in April and he hit 2 of his 3 ding-dongs on the year. ;-D No power but consistently around .290 AVG/.365 OBP. Had him a few times the last couple years when Chipper went down. Never completely horrible.

Mark Grudzielanek - don't know why, but he never kills me when I've had him in the past.; seems to hit near the top of the order mostly.

Todd Walker - nobody ever wants him, but he always seems to hit close to .300 with the odd ding-dong.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:57 am

Luis Castillo.... hits for average, gets runs and steals... He's a slap hitter so he's better at home on artificial turf, and against righties...

Kenny Lofton and Dave Brown are sort of like that too... against righties, they're very nice as long as you have other guys to get the power stats from.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 am

I made the mistake of drafting Bonds in half my leagues(not counting dynasty) but I usually pick up hot shot like Casey Blake and Matt Kemp instead of a veteran like Luis Gonzalez. :-?

but the WW in my league is dried up.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:08 am

I will take J. Jones for the last pick in a lot of drafts cause he usually starts of the year really hot.

Alou, Lofton, Ibanez and Sanders are also some late round favorites.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 271)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:31 am

Rincon and Ibanez definitly are on that list. Ryan Freel and Bill Hall can give you a few days of happiness ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Fenway05 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 am

Papelbon great ww pickup for me also bill Hall and Jose Lopez.
"When you come to a fork in the road take it."
Fenway05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JakeTrain72 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:52 am

I like going for those utility players who get a fair amount of ABs and if someone goes down they are motivated to take the job away. Some of those players were taken fairly high this season like Freel, but Bill Hall comes to mind, Freddy Sanchez, Cuddyer are others. I drafted Mark Ellis late in one league because he filled in for last season when Freel was on the DL, Craig Counsell if he is hot can be a huge boost in runs, Hillenbrand is uaually a nice late round pick for your bench as well.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:55 am

JakeTrain72 wrote:I like going for those utility players who get a fair amount of ABs and if someone goes down they are motivated to take the job away. Some of those players were taken fairly high this season like Freel, but Bill Hall comes to mind, Freddy Sanchez, Cuddyer are others. I drafted Mark Ellis late in one league because he filled in for last season when Freel was on the DL, Craig Counsell if he is hot can be a huge boost in runs, Hillenbrand is uaually a nice late round pick for your bench as well.
I really like having these players on my bench in a H2H league ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 271)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers