Could Ryan Howard get 200K's this year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Could Ryan Howard get 200K's this year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:31 pm

.286 with 27 homers, 68 RBI, and it's not even the halfway point yet. Got him on quite a few teams and I'm not complaining. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:02 am

Krunk City King$ wrote:he could get 200 HRs this season...

;-D

In a roto league, it's not a big deal. In my h2h points league, Ks count as -1 point. So, he loses 170-200 points just in Ks. That hurts bad. Whether you are concerned, depends on your league format.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Could Ryan Howard get 200K's this year

Postby swyck » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
kemper5 wrote:What is the record for K's by a batter in a season? I think Howard is the leader in MLB in KO's. Right up there with Sexson, Dunn & Abreu

This season

He's 9th in MLB K's so why even make this post if he's not leading? You may as well ask if Granderson will stike out 200 times. 8-o
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:57 am

kcs261 wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:he could get 200 HRs this season...

;-D

In a roto league, it's not a big deal. In my h2h points league, Ks count as -1 point. So, he loses 170-200 points just in Ks. That hurts bad. Whether you are concerned, depends on your league format.

;-D

I am in the same boat...we use -1 per strikeout also.

Ryan Howard JUST passed my other 1st baseman, Nick Johnson for the first time this season LAST NIGHT in scoring. And Nick has missed how many days? Those K's hurt. :-P

I was actually thinking about trading Ryan Howard before we declare keepers (we keep 5 players) next year. Especially if Weaver comes back....since I have Berkman and Hafner locked up, I am kinda deep at 1st. And since I can move Berkman to the OF, I have options to play with (Berkman OF/Hafner DH/ Howard 1B/) when it comes to setting my lineup next season.

I have to remind a couple of owners (that I will not trade him to) that Ryan Howard is the flashy exotic car that everyone sees "parked in my driveway," when I leave him on the bench sometimes.

And Nick Johnson is like the domestic Ford or Chevy that performs a little bit better than Howard, but he will never be the one targeted in a trade by the others.

Everyone looks at the flashy HR hitting Howard as the prize. But like the Adam Dunns and Richie Sexons and even Jim Thomes before him, he flirts with a high strikeout rate that should diminish his value to the number crunching owner....but it does not have that effect on the average owner.

The 180 K's will hurt, but if he can improve on that in the future, he might be worth keeping.

I also think that it will help if he gets moved up in the order next season and hits 4th for the entire season.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Everyone looks at the flashy HR hitting Howard as the prize. But like the Adam Dunns and Richie Sexons and even Jim Thomes before him, he flirts with a high strikeout rate that should diminish his value to the number crunching owner....but it does not have that effect on the average owner.

I absolutely agree. Also, in h2h leagues, I'm not big fans of guys who K a lot. I don't remember the exact qutoe. But Jose Cruz once said something to the effect that he was immune to slumps because he could always make contact or lay down a bunt if need be. I think it's really true that guys who K a lot tend to be more streaky than guys who can make contact.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Could Ryan Howard get 200K's this year

Postby jdsun1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:02 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
kemper5 wrote:What is the record for K's by a batter in a season? I think Howard is the leader in MLB in KO's. Right up there with Sexson, Dunn & Abreu

This season

I've got waaaay too many players on the top of that list.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers