not so much fantasy baseball as...well, just read it - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

not so much fantasy baseball as...well, just read it

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

not so much fantasy baseball as...well, just read it

Postby DK » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:06 pm

does anyone else think that the little league world series is the worst baseball event around? you're making 12-year old kids bend their arms in ways to that they'll need TJ surgery by the time they're 20! personally, i think that the LLWS needs some ground rules such as:

1.The only pitches allowed to be thrown are pitches where they do not have to whip their arms in such a way that the tendons could break much easier (ex. curves, sliders). We don't need extremely talented youngsters becoming a never-was by the time they're 18.
Punishment:The male guardian and the manager of the team (if not the same person) will be forced to warm up Mark Prior for his starts for one year.

2.Pitchers must have at least one day rest per inning they pitch (ex. 4 innings, 4 days rest). However, if they pitch 5 inn. or more, they only have to rest 5 days. Enough of this workhorse crap they have.
Punishment: Throw batting practice to Albert Pujols for one year.

3. The Danny Almonte situation:If any player is found to be over the allotted age, the team will be banned for the next 5 years and put on probation for life. The manager of that team is banned for life. Simple enough.
Punishment:Have dinner with Rickey Henderson, Barry Bonds, and Dick Williams every day for three years.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:09 pm

jeez, i wish i owned a team in the llws :-D
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LCBOY » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:35 pm

The Danny Almonte fiasco was not the team's fault but Danny's father. He falsified his age in the Domincan Republic.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:45 pm

LCBOY wrote:The Danny Almonte fiasco was not the team's fault but Danny's father. He falsified his age in the Domincan Republic.

understood, but it was still a fiasco. i know who did what, it was just a short way to name it.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SteveJeltz » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:27 pm

I'm starting a little league fantasy team...who wants in?
Hey the Cheat, Thanks for helping me...cheat.
SteveJeltz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:54 pm

wth, count me in :-D
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LCBOY » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:56 pm

SteveJeltz wrote:I'm starting a little league fantasy team...who wants in?

I do. I want Cody Webster from Kirkland, Washington (1982). Threw a no-hitter against Taiwan and hit a 300 ft bomb to dead center. A 12 yr old hitting a 300 foot shot! That is crazy!!
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ondeckb » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:06 pm

Little League is a joke...I manage my son's team which plays in a USSSA league. The Little League kids are 12-Under (6th grade) and play the same rules our kids played in the 3rd grade (9-Under). 60' bases, 45' pitching distance, no lead offs until the ball hits the catcher's mitt, no advancing on a dropped 3rd strike....at the same age our kids played 70' bases, 50' pitching distance and stealing bases. And no one in our league is encouraged to throw curve balls until they're older. I enjoy watching these games, however, there are many youth leagues, "Little League" is just one of them....and I think a pretty lame one as well.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:57 am

I won't watch the Little League World Series anymore because of the abuse of pitcher's arms. And the announcers condone it by saying how tough the kid is when he throws 100+ pitches and comes back on short rest. It's terrible.

Continuing on that note, the College World Series is even worse. Some of the pitchers in this year's College World Series threw 130, 140, 150 pitches. One starter threw 400 pitches over 3 starts in 9 days. And, once again, he gets kudos for his "toughness." A couple years down the road and a Tommy John surgery later, the kid will probably wish he hadn't been so "tough" back then.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby mtarail » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:19 am

I'm no expert on which pitches are likely to shorten a kids career. But making those SP's go full games practically every single day seems pretty excessive...
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers