Julio Lugo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio Lugo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:20 pm

How could Lugo be on the WW?

This aside, I am pretty confident that a trade will destroy his value. He is basically a .280/10 sort of guy (although as was pointed out above, he seems to have found a better power stroke this year) who gets most of his value from SBs. The Rays run like crazy and chances are that whereever he is dealt, he will not be hitting lead-off (less opportunities for Rs and HRs) and he will be getting the greenlight less.

There is a huge difference in value between a guy who performs at .280/10/50 rate and a .280/10/20 rate. One is very valuable, the other is a borderline WW guy.

I really like what Lugo has done for me this year, but I am starting to look to deal him, and will very actively do so the more the Red Sox or Jays look like the likely destination.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Julio Lugo

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:27 pm

giants! wrote:
Surfs up wrote:Where do you think Lugo will end up? There was talk of the Red Sox but Gonzalez has been hitting and is solid on defense. The Mets?

The mets have Reyes at ss
Who?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:I think Lugo w/ stay w/ the D-rays. He's been talked about being moved for the past 3 years, and hasn't gone any where.

I'd say it's all but impossible that he stays. Doesn't matter what the talk has been for the past 3 years -- he wasn't in his walk year then. The Rays have the choice of getting someone for him and losing him a few months early -- or losing him at the end of the year and getting nothing. Based on their history, one can only imagine he'll be packaged away at deadline time. I wouldn't mind seeing him play 2B for the Mets; as happy as I am with Valentin lately.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby schillingfan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:25 pm

What would a trade to the Mets do to Lugo's value? I'm not sure how they would feel about letting him run on the basepaths but the Mets offense is just crazy this year and would allow the rest of Lugo's numbers to keep up, right?
14 Team Yahoo H2H League
schillingfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:53 pm

schillingfan wrote:What would a trade to the Mets do to Lugo's value? I'm not sure how they would feel about letting him run on the basepaths but the Mets offense is just crazy this year and would allow the rest of Lugo's numbers to keep up, right?

It would depend a ton on where he hit in the order.
1) He's not going to hit in this slot - Reyes owns the leadoff spot
2) Possible but the Mets really like LoDuca here. He's an outstanding contact guy that goes deep into counts and lets Reyes run.
3-5) Beltran, Delgado, Wright - 'nuff said
6) Floyd's spot when he comes back. I'm sure the Mets would rather have a power hitter here than a speed guy like Lugo

That leaves the 7th or 8th spot in the order for Nady and Lugo. Hitting that low in the order I'd say it would hurt Lugo's value quite a bit. He's also not likely to be running if there are 2 outs with the pitcher up.

However, if they did decide to put him in the 2 spot I'd say he'll probably break even. He'll probably run a bit less but he'll see a slight uptick in rbi's batting second and he'll probably see an uptick in runs based on surrounding lineup. He'll also see better pitches since Beltran/Delgado/Wright is scarier than Crawford/Baldelli/Huff. No offense to the DRays guys...it's just that Beltran/Delgado/Wright is probably the NL's best 3-5 combo.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Mr. Baseball » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:59 pm

batting eighth would be my guess on the mets
Mr. Baseball
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)