Poker bankroll management - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Poker bankroll management

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Poker bankroll management

Postby so0perspam » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:01 am

Offer up advice.
Cash games and sit-and-go's are the topics at hand here.

Cash games:
My general rule of thumb is 200-300x BB should be your bankroll in comparison to the limit you are playing at. I'd go 200 for the lower stakes and 300 for higher stakes since the swings can be much worse as the stakes move up. So for example a .50/$1 limit player should have a bankroll around $200 and a $3/$6 limit player should have a bankroll around $1800. For NL you should sit at a table with at least 75x the BB. I usually sit at a table with 100x the BB so in a $2/$4 game I'll sit at the table with $400.

SNG's:
SNG's are tricky. A good player can usually finish in the money, but you get the occasional donk or two buying in and you can find yourself out on bad beats often. I'd say the buy-in should be somewhere around 1/15th or 1/20th of your bankroll.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:13 am

I'd have to agree on both accounts.

What I will add is about playing for fun, normally at the micro limits. Online, that's where I've played in the past...I just see it as a hobby, so I'll deposit 100 bucks, and won't worry about it if I play a 10 dollar tournament or the like, as I'll simply buy back in. But I suppose that isn't technically bankroll management....

But I definitely agree on both accounts as far as serious management goes. Bottom line...only gamble what you can afford to lose. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:28 am

I apologize for the triple post, there was a problem with the site around 4AM EST (at least for me, perhaps the problem was on my end) and I triple posted. Feel free to delete all waste. Thanks.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:49 am

pokerplaya wrote:I apologize for the triple post, there was a problem with the site around 4AM EST (at least for me, perhaps the problem was on my end) and I triple posted. Feel free to delete all waste. Thanks.

Actually I show the posts coming in at 4:13 AM Central time. That's when backups run, so the site runs a little slow at that time. We're working on speeding up that process though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:56 am

Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I apologize for the triple post, there was a problem with the site around 4AM EST (at least for me, perhaps the problem was on my end) and I triple posted. Feel free to delete all waste. Thanks.

Actually I show the posts coming in at 4:13 AM Central time. That's when backups run, so the site runs a little slow at that time. We're working on speeding up that process though. ;-D

Yeah, you're right. It's late one way or the other, and I'm starting to lose it... :*)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm

Everything I've read and my own experiences back up what you've posted. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Return to General Talk