Superman Returns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Superman Returns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Superman Returns

Postby Pablo975 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:26 am

Just got back from seeing it. I preface this with an admission of geek-dom as I was a big comics reader as a kid, and still am to some degree. So, I'm a little harsh on comic flicks. I'm also a HUGE fan of the first 2 Superman movies, although I recognize the flaws.

This movie is really, really good. A bit more heart and substance than the usual comic flick.

My only real suggestions to improve next go round would be:

- Bulk Brandon Routh up more. He's just not....Super enough. Call Jason Grimsley.

- Lose the "S" curl in his hair. It looks dumb in the comics, it looked goofy on Christopher Reeve, and looks flat out sissyfied on Routh. I know it's a trademark thing and all, but the big red S kinda indentifies the guy.

- I'd have liked a slightly darker Lex out of Spacey....a little more of the acidic, mean side of Spacey would've gone a long way.

All in all, I thought it rocked. I'd go 4 out of 5 stars.

I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts or reviews when they see it. Let's hear 'em.....

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:31 am

Sorry, I can't contribute to the review yet, but thanks for yours - I guess I will go give it a look after all.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:58 am

I saw the commercial where superman gets shot in the eye, and the bullet redirects and bounces off. After seeing how cheesy that looked, I decided I won't be seeing that movie. Maybe DVD, but even then I won't be too excited about it.

Glad you liked it though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:57 am

i've never been a big fan of Superman, and i dont think the movie looks that good, but i will probably go see it anyway
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:11 am

Reviews around the country generally give it a very good review for a comic book movie; an NPR review I heard the other day was a little critical of it being too long with not enough action and that Spacey made a bad Lex Luthor. I digress though, and I'll probably see it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:03 pm

I will probably catch it when it comes out on DVD. I have never been the biggest fan of our local movie theatre, and Superman does not excite me enough to go there and watch it.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jivedude » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:22 pm

I got my own private screening of it Monday night. I'm pretty sick of the whole insipid comic movie genre and I thought it was pretty decent. I don't like Kate Bosworth as Lois, and the 3D scenes weren't too impressive, but it's worth watching. Oh, and Clark and Superman are both gone five years and both return at the same time. Hmm, maybe Clark is Superman? Nah couldn't be...
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:31 pm

I'll probably go see it. The reviews have been good, and Singer has done a great job with comic book movies in the past (X-Men 1 & 2). I'm sure I'll like it.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:31 pm

Found out a couple months ago that Brandon Routh is like my 3rd cousin or something. His great grandmother married my great grandfather. Or something like that. Brandon's mother talks to my grandma about our lineage and stuff.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:36 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Found out a couple months ago that Brandon Routh is like my 3rd cousin or something. His great grandmother married my great grandfather. Or something like that. Brandon's mother talks to my grandma about our lineage and stuff.

Interesting.

As for Superman, I'm not a big fan of the comics or the movies, but personally I'm more excited to see Pirates 2 and Spiderman 3, when that comes out. I've heard mostly good things about SR and so it's probably worth a look. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Next

Return to General Talk