Why is Rich Hill in Iowa? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Why is Rich Hill in Iowa?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is Rich Hill in Iowa?

Postby WittyC » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:54 pm

The only explanation I have come to is that it has something to do with delaying his arbitration. There is absolutely no other reason guys like Marshall and Marmol should be pitching right now while Hill continues to dominate AAA.

Sure, the kid has struggled in his call-ups, but with this season already down the drain, it's time to call him up and give him regular work. How long has it been since the Cubs had a serviceable lefty in their rotation? Hibbard in '03?

The rotation after the AS break should be as follows...

Zamby
Prior
Maddux
Hill
Guzman

Marshall needs to be shut down before his arm falls off. Let him work on 6 days rest and minimum innings in the minors, then call him back when Maddux gets dealt.

Anyone have insight on this? Is there really any reason why Rich Hill should still be pitching in Des Moines? :-?
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:14 am

he's in Iowa b/c he can't throw a strike in the ML. My guess is that ML batters have a much more discerning eye than eager AAA hitters for the kind of stuff Hill throws. I hope i'm wrong though.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby WittyC » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:00 am

RugbyD wrote:he's in Iowa b/c he can't throw a strike in the ML. My guess is that ML batters have a much more discerning eye than eager AAA hitters for the kind of stuff Hill throws. I hope i'm wrong though.

I guess my point (not sure if I even made it, though :-/ ) is that Hill has only thrown 43 innings in the majors. I'm sure he'd settle down eventually the way he has on every other level.

Eh, just ranting and hoping next year will be better. :-°
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:51 am

I'm not sure what Hill's problem is, but whatever it is, it's mental. It's pretty damn absurd that he can't translate his AAA dominance into league-average production, at worst, in the majors. Another factor may be that he uses his a change in AAA, but I really don't remember him using it much in the majors. ML hitters will pick apart 2-pitch pitchers, especially ones whose heater tops out at 89 MPH.

However, I've got no problems with Marshall or Marmol either. Hill had his shots, and tanked badly. Both of these guys are not only doing better with their first shots, they both skipped the AAA level completely. Like you said, this season had been over for a while, and I'd rather see these two take their lumps this year than next year when we will really need them.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Chicago Cubs