Evan Longoria: hitting .457 with 4 HRs, 11 RBIs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Evan Longoria: hitting .457 with 4 HRs, 11 RBIs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:05 pm

PS - Longoria hit .299 with 8 homers in the Cape League. That is good transitioning from metal to wood, but that's not exactly tearing it up, either.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:16 pm

rmande09 wrote:PS - Longoria hit .299 with 8 homers in the Cape League. That is good transitioning from metal to wood, but that's not exactly tearing it up, either.

MVP of a league full of top 100 prospects
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:19 pm

rmande09 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
rmande09 wrote:He'll finish the year at A+ and begin next season at AA. That's pretty much how most college studs start their ML careers. There is no way they'll have him go from SS A to A+ to AA to AAA in a half-season's time.

D1 talent is NOT equal to A ball or AA ball. If it was, every player that plays D1 would be drafted. Not to mention the fact that you use METAL in college and wood in pros - it's a slight difference.

except that longoria played in the Cape league during the summer and was the MVP. They use wood bats there. He still tore it up. I guarantee he is in AA by the end of the year and if he doenst start in druham next year, he will be there after a couple months in AA. Yes, D1 is equal to AA ball. If it wasn't then how did prior go from USC to the Cubs in the same season??

That is terrible logic. Because one player defies the odds it completely demerits the whole level?

Prior is an exception. Pitching in college is somewhat similar to pitching in the pros, simply because of the metal to wood dropoff. However, saying the TALENT at AA is equal to D1 is a JOKE. I play D1 baseball and I've seen SS A teams play and every player on those SS teams are at least as good, generally better than the best player on our team. Let alone AA.

Some players are just ready, some have a ways to go. Longoria has torn up SS A so far, but it's a small sample size. He still has to go to A, then A+, then AA. It is rare for a player to ever go through three levels in a full season, let alone a half.

I can't believe I even responded to your post.

Actually the only reason he was in SS A was due to A+ having all-star break otherwise he would have been in A+ already. He will be in AA by the end of the year guaranteed.

PS. im glad u play D1 baseball, i had a scholarship and blew out my arm. Playing D1 does not make u an expert. i was giving my opionion, you gave yours no need to attack me
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:19 pm

OK, here, perfect example. Troy Tulowitzki was drafted 7th overall last year as a SS out of LBSU, Longoria's alma mater. There has been quite a bit of comparison between Tulo, Longoria, and former LBSU SS and current A's SS Bobby Crosby. Tulo is considered by most scouts and executives to be the best of the three. Most think Tulo could step into a Major League role right now and put up better numbers than Bobby Crosby. Then Crosby, then Longoria. Longoria is not far behind Crosby in terms of where he was when he get out of school. With no rush to get Longoria to the show, it is probable he'll follow a path similar to those guys he is most often compared with - Tulo and Crosby.

Troy signed a little late last year and played at Modesto, Colorado's A+ affiliate. He opened this season at AA.

Crosby began his career at A+ Modesto (then the A's affiliate) and finished that season there, hitting .395 in a limited amount of time. He began his first full season of pro ball BACK at A+ and pretty much tore the league up for half a season. It took HALF A SEASON for him to get promoted to AA, and he finished the year there. He moved up to AAA to begin his second full year, received a September callup and has been in the pros ever since.

Because Longoria signed so early, they started him at SS ball. They may promote him to A+ soon, but he will finish the season at A+ unless he absolutely tears the cover off the ball. Promoting players too soon completely impedes their development, and I don't think the Rays are going to take that chance on this guy.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:23 pm

I didn't attack you, I simply told you it was terrible logic to say that D1 is better than AA because Mark Prior made it to the bigs the year he was drafted.

I'm not pretending to be an expert - I'm simply saying the quality and talent at SS and certainly A+ ball is greater than that of D1 ball. If it wasn't, then every kid playing D1 would get drafted.

Like I said before, unless Longoria tears A+ up (read: .400, 10 HR in a month), he will not be up in AA. Keep in mind, the minors end in the beginning of September, which will give him two months to establish himself and A+ and make the FO feel like he has gotten all he can out of A+ and needs to go up.

He will definitely start next season in AA.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:34 pm

rmande09 wrote:I didn't attack you, I simply told you it was terrible logic to say that D1 is better than AA because Mark Prior made it to the bigs the year he was drafted.

I'm not pretending to be an expert - I'm simply saying the quality and talent at SS and certainly A+ ball is greater than that of D1 ball. If it wasn't, then every kid playing D1 would get drafted.

Like I said before, unless Longoria tears A+ up (read: .400, 10 HR in a month), he will not be up in AA. Keep in mind, the minors end in the beginning of September, which will give him two months to establish himself and A+ and make the FO feel like he has gotten all he can out of A+ and needs to go up.

He will definitely start next season in AA.

hey man sorry, i totally forgot that minors end in september after looking, even gordon did not make AA in his first year. !+) I just felt like i was being attacked, i knida got caught up in longoria playing so well. I apologize, you were right after i did some research ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:36 pm

He is supposed to be sent to A+ Visalia in the next couple days, according to the DRO. By the way what school do you play for? what position?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:36 pm

hha don't worry about it, it happens. I get excited about quick promotion of guys too. I remember last year wishing Hansen would be brought up to the Bigs after about two games at A+. Longoria should be good, but he probably won't be up until next September, then in 2008 for good, assuming he progresses as expected.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:40 pm

so they say he is going to be a little better than crosby? I haven't heard much, and i live in Tampa about his projections, other than his cape stats. i honestly wanted us to draft miller, but if we were gonna go offense i liked longoria.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:47 pm

They say Tulowitzki should be the best of the bunch, and Longoria projects to be extremely similar to Crosby in terms of offense.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball