Evan Longoria: hitting .457 with 4 HRs, 11 RBIs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Evan Longoria: hitting .457 with 4 HRs, 11 RBIs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Evan Longoria: hitting .457 with 4 HRs, 11 RBIs

Postby killa3312 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:50 pm

not a bad start to a career, huh?
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bosy Billups » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:49 pm

Debbie Downer says: How big is the sample size?
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:05 am

5 games in class A short season. But yes, he will be good.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:14 am

Yes, he should be pretty solid but he has actually taken a step back in competition, so "they" say. D1 College ball is about equal to A+ or even AA in some instances, so him doing well in SS A ball shouldn't be a surprise.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:41 am

He is going to Visalia when they get back from all-star break. I would expect him to go to AA montgomery by the end of July and maybe make it to durham by the end of the season. I think he will get the call to the big team in the second half next year with Bankston.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:54 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:He is going to Visalia when they get back from all-star break. I would expect him to go to AA montgomery by the end of July and maybe make it to durham by the end of the season. I think he will get the call to the big team in the second half next year with Bankston.

You really think he will be in Durham at the end of this year? 8-o
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:25 pm

I think he can College is basicly AA and he dominated college, but actually he probably will start next year at durham. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:48 pm

He'll finish the year at A+ and begin next season at AA. That's pretty much how most college studs start their ML careers. There is no way they'll have him go from SS A to A+ to AA to AAA in a half-season's time.

D1 talent is NOT equal to A ball or AA ball. If it was, every player that plays D1 would be drafted. Not to mention the fact that you use METAL in college and wood in pros - it's a slight difference.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:24 pm

rmande09 wrote:He'll finish the year at A+ and begin next season at AA. That's pretty much how most college studs start their ML careers. There is no way they'll have him go from SS A to A+ to AA to AAA in a half-season's time.

D1 talent is NOT equal to A ball or AA ball. If it was, every player that plays D1 would be drafted. Not to mention the fact that you use METAL in college and wood in pros - it's a slight difference.

except that longoria played in the Cape league during the summer and was the MVP. They use wood bats there. He still tore it up. I guarantee he is in AA by the end of the year and if he doenst start in druham next year, he will be there after a couple months in AA. Yes, D1 is equal to AA ball. If it wasn't then how did prior go from USC to the Cubs in the same season??
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:01 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
rmande09 wrote:He'll finish the year at A+ and begin next season at AA. That's pretty much how most college studs start their ML careers. There is no way they'll have him go from SS A to A+ to AA to AAA in a half-season's time.

except that longoria played in the Cape league during the summer and was the MVP. They use wood bats there. He still tore it up. I guarantee he is in AA by the end of the year and if he doenst start in druham next year, he will be there after a couple months in AA. Yes, D1 is equal to AA ball. If it wasn't then how did prior go from USC to the Cubs in the same season??

That is terrible logic. Because one player defies the odds it completely demerits the whole level?

Prior is an exception. Pitching in college is somewhat similar to pitching in the pros, simply because of the metal to wood dropoff. However, saying the TALENT at AA is equal to D1 is a JOKE. I play D1 baseball and I've seen SS A teams play and every player on those SS teams are at least as good, generally better than the best player on our team. Let alone AA.

Some players are just ready, some have a ways to go. Longoria has torn up SS A so far, but it's a small sample size. He still has to go to A, then A+, then AA. It is rare for a player to ever go through three levels in a full season, let alone a half.

I can't believe I even responded to your post.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball