Jorge Sosa - StatTracker / Yahoo Error...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jorge Sosa - StatTracker / Yahoo Error...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jorge Sosa - StatTracker / Yahoo Error...?

Postby Super Manny » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:29 pm

My StatTracker and Yahoo live updates report that Jorge Sosa pitched 1 inning in tonight's 4-1 win over the Yankees, presumably earning a save. However, Yahoo's box scores list Horacio Ramirez as the only pitcher appearing in the contest for the Braves.

Anyone else have this problem and know the real scoop? :-?

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kingman2003 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:32 pm

He pitched the 9th, had one K, and gave up one hit, a HR to Melky Cabrera. It wasn't a save situation- the score was 5 to 1, and despite the HR he looked really good.
kingman2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Super Manny » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:34 pm

kingman2003 wrote:He pitched the 9th, had one K, and gave up one hit, a HR to Melky Cabrera. It wasn't a save situation- the score was 5 to 1, and despite the HR he looked really good.

Hmmm...weird. Yahoo lists the final score as 4 to 1, and charges Ramirez with the ER. !+)

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:38 pm

You have to throw your first pitch with a lead of no more than 3 to get a save.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super Manny » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:44 pm

johnsamo wrote:You have to throw your first pitch with a lead of no more than 3 to get a save.

I understand the terms surrounding a save situation. As I said, however, StatTracker is attributing the earned run to Ramirez. This would mean that Sosa entered the ninth with a 4-1 lead, thus a save opportunity. I realize this is all erroneously reported by Yahoo, but it IS what is showing up on my screen, FWIW.

Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:46 pm

yeah, I have Sosa also. ESPN's boxscore was wrong too, so I watched ESPNNews for a bit until I saw highlights. Sosa entered the ninth at 5-1 ATL, so no save.

The final was actually 5-2.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Spedieddie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:57 pm

[quote="johnsamo"]You have to throw your first pitch with a lead of no more than 3 to get a save.[/quote]

Actually, i think you could have a lead of four (or perhaps more?) if there are enough men on base. ... yup .. here's the word from espn FAQ's:

Save rule
10.20 Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:

(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and

(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and

(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:

(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or

(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or

(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings.

In any case, no save for Sosa ... =(
Spedieddie
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ordinarygenius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:37 am

A pitcher could enter a game with a 150-run lead and still get a save, as long as, per Rule 10.20 (3) (c), he pitches effectively for three innings or more. The decision on whether or not he pitched effectively rests with the official scorer.
ordinarygenius
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:39 am

Yeah, it was a Yahoo! and ESPN error...mlb.com had it right and it was indeed a 5-1 lead when he came in and he pitched an inning with 1k and 1 solo hr.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers