Daric Barton: Overrated for fantasy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Daric Barton: Overrated for fantasy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daric Barton: Overrated for fantasy?

Postby RynMan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:07 pm

As I understand it, this guy will likely be a high OBP type hitter with solid power. At 1B, that isn't that uncommon. My question, is Barton overrated as a fantasy player? I have him on my minors roster and have my eye on other guys like Gonzalez from Arizona, that pitcher from the Brewers I posted about, and a couple others. Any thoughts?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daric Barton: Overrated for fantasy?

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 am

RynMan wrote:As I understand it, this guy will likely be a high OBP type hitter with solid power. At 1B, that isn't that uncommon. My question, is Barton overrated as a fantasy player? I have him on my minors roster and have my eye on other guys like Gonzalez from Arizona, that pitcher from the Brewers I posted about, and a couple others. Any thoughts?

I'd say he's a little overrated for fantasy purposes because of the lack of power at a power position. Though his frame should fill out nicely and he could turn into a 25-30 hr type of guy with a great Avg and OPS. I'd say at worse he is a Sean Casey (.305 15) type and could be a Helton (.330 30) type as the power comes in. We shall see....... he doesn't turn 21 until August and he is in AAA, in other words hes got quite a bit of time to turn into that Helton type.

With all that said I'm guessing it will be closer to the Casey type than the Helton type when all is said and done.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Re: Daric Barton: Overrated for fantasy?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 am

J35J wrote:
RynMan wrote:As I understand it, this guy will likely be a high OBP type hitter with solid power. At 1B, that isn't that uncommon. My question, is Barton overrated as a fantasy player? I have him on my minors roster and have my eye on other guys like Gonzalez from Arizona, that pitcher from the Brewers I posted about, and a couple others. Any thoughts?

I'd say he's a little overrated for fantasy purposes because of the lack of power at a power position. Though his frame should fill out nicely and he could turn into a 25-30 hr type of guy with a great Avg and OPS. I'd say at worse he is a Sean Casey (.305 15) type and could be a Helton (.330 30) type as the power comes in. We shall see....... he doesn't turn 21 until August and he is in AAA, in other words hes got quite a bit of time to turn into that Helton type.

With all that said I'm guessing it will be closer to the Casey type than the Helton type when all is said and done.

Jason

His "ceiling" might not be high but he's not all that risky IMO though compared to other prospects. He's only 21 and in AAA already, should be a solid producer for a long time barring an injury. Now RUMP adviced me to trade Barton for Ollie Perez(and I did) before the season started...not sure that was a good decision(though I did trade OP later for Edwin Encarnacion, we'll have to see)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:21 pm

I've always thought he was a overrated for fantasy purposes. First baseman who hit for limited power are just never in big demand. He could develope into a pretty good 1B, but for those who think he will be a top talent there, I just dn't see it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:56 am

I think the power will develop and he will turn out to be underrated for fantasy, actually.

Looking at the roster, he's 20 years old in AAA. The next youngest guy on the team is Dan Meyer who turns 25 in 3 days.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Minor League & College Baseball