Sasaki - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sasaki

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sasaki

Postby The Dude » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:37 am

From the M's official website...

"The emergence of right-handed reliever Kazuhiro Sasaki brought a loud response from the 37,066 fans at Safeco Field who realize that a healthy and productive Kaz can only help the Mariners chances of holding off the Athletics in the AL West pennant race.

With a win on Wednesday night, Seattle (73-47) added a game to its AL West lead, which stands at four games over the Athletics.

"When the cheers came, that's when it really hit me and I became nervous," said Sasaki, who pitched the eighth inning in Seattle's 13-6 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays. "I had fun today."

Sasaki's return provided one of the highlights in a wacky game that saw the Mariners lose a five-run lead, load the bases with none out and then have three straight strikeouts, and then overpower the Blue Jays with four-run rallies in the fifth and sixth innings.

Thanks to another right-handed reliever, Julio Mateo, the game was well in hand by the time Kaz made his first appearance since June 5 -- two days before he fell on his suitcase and suffered hairline fractures in two ribs. The ensuing two months have been painful and frustrating.

And all eyes were on Sasaki when he stepped on the mound to face veteran shortstop Mike Bordick.

Kaz retired Bordick on a grounder to shortstop Rey Sanchez, Frank Catalanotto on a grounder to first baseman John Olerud and Reed Johnson on a popup to Bret Boone. It was a clean and crisp inning.

"He looked good," pitching coach Bryan Price said. "He came in and threw strikes. He looked healthy and loose and hit 88-89 (mph) on his fastball, which shows life in his arm. I think it certainly is a step in the right direction and exactly what we wanted to see."

The plan the Mariners have set up for Sasaki is to use him a couple of times in non-crucial situations to get him accustomed to pitching again. Once he has re-established his fastball, splitter and change, he will return to the closer role."
The Dude Abides
The Dude
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:42 am

as soon as he gets a save, im gonna activate him off the dl and drop matos
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Dude » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:44 am

just be aware, his fastball has topped out at 88-89 mph and he used to throw it 92-93 when he came to the M's a couple years ago...

My gut feeling is that he's going to lose his closer job as soon as he gets it back...
The Dude Abides
The Dude
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:46 am

i dont know how im gonna squeeze him in though. i have foulke at rp, cordero at rp, and kolb at p
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mugrila » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:48 am

The Dude wrote:My gut feeling is that he's going to lose his closer job as soon as he gets it back...

i feel that way too. :-/
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Althalius » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:59 am

the M's should stick with Shiggy. With only a month to go and a shot at the postseason, why take a chance? Shigetoshi has been solid.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Dude » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:55 pm

11 for 11 in save opportunities - no runs given up during that stretch... I'd say that's pretty damn solid...

Although if I had my druthers, Soriano would be closing
The Dude Abides
The Dude
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:53 am

If Sasaki doesn't get his velocity back, he won't close. Even if he does, I doubt that he holds the job for very long.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:59 am

Cut and pasted from another thread. Can anyone help me with this one?

I have an honest question.......In my HTH league, should I drop Sasaki for Kolb? I am not sure if Sasaki will ever get it right this year but am also worried because I also have Hasegawa and wouldn't want to get stuck with a middle reliever in a week or so. Hasegawa SHOULD close for the rest of the year but that doesn't mean that it will happen.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:55 am

sure, get kolb and drop kaz
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers