Peter Gammons hospitalized with aneurysm - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peter Gammons hospitalized with aneurysm

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Giambis » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:53 pm

FuriousGod wrote:Some kids in Africa are dieing? Who cares?

Such an incredibly classless remark. Compassion isn't a zero-sum game.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Pete's the biggest Red Sox homer ever! I like him anyway. Get well soon!
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby nsulham » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:06 pm

nettles3Ball-star wrote:Pete's the biggest Red Sox homer ever! I like him anyway. Get well soon!

Red Sox "homers" aren't elected to the Hall of Fame. Is most of his news and info Boston-related? Of course, that's where he's from. But his knowledge of the game as a whole, of teams and players, is remarkable. He knows the game inside and out as well as anyone can who's never actually played the game.

This cuts me a good bit because he's my favorite baseball-related media guy. I idolize his knowledge of the game and the contacts he's made through his career. He's one of the best and I hope he makes it through this.

(BTW please don't take the homer comment as a direct jab at you. I just feel the need to speak up for him when people label him a "Red Sox shill" or whatever.)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Geek » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Get well Pete!
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby giants! » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 pm

Get well Peter
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:31 pm

nsulham wrote:
nettles3Ball-star wrote:Pete's the biggest Red Sox homer ever! I like him anyway. Get well soon!

Red Sox "homers" aren't elected to the Hall of Fame. Is most of his news and info Boston-related? Of course, that's where he's from. But his knowledge of the game as a whole, of teams and players, is remarkable. He knows the game inside and out as well as anyone can who's never actually played the game.

This cuts me a good bit because he's my favorite baseball-related media guy. I idolize his knowledge of the game and the contacts he's made through his career. He's one of the best and I hope he makes it through this.

(BTW please don't take the homer comment as a direct jab at you. I just feel the need to speak up for him when people label him a "Red Sox shill" or whatever.)

He has definately been partial to the Red Sox. Whether you call that being a "homer" or just reporting more about it because he's from there is up to each individual.

He still seems like a good guy and has been a great baseball media figure. Hope he gets well as soon as possible.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby nsulham » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:43 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:He has definately been partial to the Red Sox. Whether you call that being a "homer" or just reporting more about it because he's from there is up to each individual.

He still seems like a good guy and has been a great baseball media figure. Hope he gets well as soon as possible.

But a homer implies said person is never critical of the team they cheer for (which he doesn't at all but I'll just go along) and Gammons has been critical of some of Boston's moves in the past. I can't think of any examples right now but I know I've read and seen in the past where he's been harsh on them.

Partial? Probably, but to say he out and out roots for them or always skews his information to make them look good isn't true.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:44 pm

nsulham wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:He has definately been partial to the Red Sox. Whether you call that being a "homer" or just reporting more about it because he's from there is up to each individual.

But a homer implies said person is never critical of the team they cheer for (which he doesn't at all but I'll just go along) and Gammons has been critical of some of Boston's moves in the past. I can't think of any examples right now but I know I've read and seen in the past where he's been harsh on them.

Partial? Probably, but to say he out and out roots for them or always skews his information to make them look good isn't true.

I agree with that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:02 pm

Good luck Peter. I always turn up the TV or radio when he's on...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby noseeum » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 pm

Le'ts hope he has a full recovery.

As for the homer comments, I'm a Yankees fan, and Gammons' love for the Sox is actually pretty endearing because he does his best to hide it and be more of a "positive about baseball in general" type reporter, rather than a sox homer.

In most cases, he stays objective, but then when the Sox do something great, his face can't hide the fact he's beaming and as happy as can be. That's pretty cool to see.

He's faced lots of criticism on this board in the past for his wildly optimistic predictions for prospects and players, but like I said, in the end, he's a huge baseball fan that wants to see players he likes succeed. He wears his heart on his sleeve a little. It's a pretty unique way of reporting that you have to give him credit for.

Good guy all around.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers