Pedro on Wednesday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro on Wednesday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:02 pm

The Kavorka wrote:I hope they cheer him as well.

Isn't he due to break down any minute now Red Sox fans? When was that supposed to happen? Year 2, 3 or 4?

Actually, a lot of Red Sox fans knew a switch to the NL could make him a dominant pitcher again.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:25 pm

I think Pedro will be cheered...

- He's coming back into town talking all nicey nice, saying how much he loved the fans here and such, even though his favorite hobby when he was here was picking out the one booing fan out of 37,000 and claiming that was how everyone felt about him

- As others pointed out, he's not on the Yankees.

- For 3-4 years, he was best pitcher we ever saw here in Boston. Even better than Roger when he was here.

- To the guy who asked about his arm falling off, I admit, I underestimated how healthy and effective he'd be at this point, but like Clemens he needed a change of scenery to light the spark... he was on cruise control his last year here looking for little stupid things to fire him up.

- If there's any reason to boo it is how he handled contract negotiations... everyone likes to talk about how the Sox could have signed him for 3 years and $40M before the 2004 season, but that is a load of crap - he was NOT going to take a "pay cut" to stay. It would have cost the Sox 3 years and $55M to keep him before he went to free agency. After that, he played the "respect" card out of town.

The bottom line is that the the fans will cheer and not boo because most didn't want to pay him huge bucks to stay. We enjoyed his best and thought his best was behind him. We didn't think he'd be healthy for 3-4 years and the one image that will permanently stick in my head is the image of Pedro coming out of the bullpen late in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS in Yankee stadium with a 5 run lead and me wishing that anyone other than him was about to take the mound because I thought he was going to blow it (with those damn "Who's your daddy" chants in the background).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby option245 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Don't forget, he side stepped Don Zimmer and made him eat grass. :-b :-b
option245
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Are you kidding? I'm sure Pedro would get a strong standing ovation. Yeah, he'll own the Sox and the Mets offense will tear (if not tear but win it) apart Beckett.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Pedro said all the right things at the press conference today, even ripped into Damon for going to the Yankees haha
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Pedro should get the biggest standing o of this year.
Bigger than Mirabeli and Kapler :-D
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 pm

The absolute most hilarious statement Pedro made in the press conference today was (paraphrase): "I wish Luchino was here right now, I'd say to him 'see, I got my 4 years, d--che bag!!!' " He also threw a jab at John Henry, mocking him in a very saracastic wishy-washy voice like Henry has. Great stuff. I have my problems with Petey, but the guy is a fascinating interview and while I wasn't sure how he would be received, I now have no question he'll get a gigantic ovation. Can't wait to see it (wish I had tickets :~( ). Let's hope he doesn't replicate Roger's first time back at Fenway with 16 Ks!!! When asked about it, Pedro said "don't expect THAT tomorrow!"
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jbones733 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:18 pm

he was out on the field today & they were cheering, he was blowing kisses it was an all out lovefest, He will get an amazing ovation tomorrow night & well deserved, unlike that turncoat Damon
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pepperoncino » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:49 pm

yep. pedro will get a resounding ovation.

i don't get the comparisons to damon. first off, pedro's not a yankee. secondly, pedro's impact on the championship team was just as valuable, if not more as a pitcher, than damon's.

and most importantly, pedro is a living baseball legend, one of the best pitchers to ever play the game, and he did his best work in boston. damon is a great player, but isn't in that league.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 pm

Don't start Beckett tomorrow and definitely start Pedro. Yeah, Pedro is awesome. I wanted him to stay with the Sox though. Can't wait for tomorrow night's game.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers