jake_harv88 wrote:what are peoples thoughts on Pedro on wednesday. I hear a lot of people suggesting that he will get cheared, but i beg to differ. The "Fenway Unfaithful" boo-ed Damon and i know he went to the yankees but without Damon they would not have won the World Series. I'm not saying hes the reason they won it but without him they wouldn't have. Pedro burned the sox more than Damon did as well. The Sox management went to the Dominican and left believing they had a deal yet the got back to the US only to find out he had signed with the Mets. Damon is a much more classy guy than Pedro i see no reason why they would cheer pedro and boo damon...
There's quite a few reasons that they will
- He didn't go to the Yankees. You said that in your post, but obviously underestimated what it meant. If he came back to Fenway as a part of the Yankees he would be just as hated as Damon.
- While with the Sox, he was the face of the franchise with Nomar. He was the greatest pitcher most people had seen during the 98-01 span.
- He opened the doors for the Sox getting involved with the Dominican Republic. Without Pedro, we wouldn't have started scouting down there, etc.
- Even when he left, some people didn't want to resign him because they thought he was injured. Others thought it was ok he went to the NL because he would do better there. Most fans understood why he wasn't resigned.
- This one is against Damon, not for Pedro, but Damon was an ok center fielder and good leadoff hitter. He was no Sox legend, or anything close. Why does he deserve all this respect and to be cheered when he's a Yankee?
- Clemens got cheered when he came back as a Blue Jay. He then came back as a Yankee and was booed. Again, the Yankee thing is what's most important.
- Many fans here still follow Pedro and want him to do well. He was here for a while and became one of the most admired players the Sox have ever had. He also had a big Domincan following here, which I'm sure are still cheering for him to do well.
If I was there, I would be cheering for him. Obviosuly I hope he gets shelled, just like all opposing pitchers, but when he takes the mound I would be cheering.