Pedro on Wednesday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro on Wednesday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro on Wednesday

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:08 am

what are peoples thoughts on Pedro on wednesday. I hear a lot of people suggesting that he will get cheared, but i beg to differ. The "Fenway Unfaithful" boo-ed Damon and i know he went to the yankees but without Damon they would not have won the World Series. I'm not saying hes the reason they won it but without him they wouldn't have. Pedro burned the sox more than Damon did as well. The Sox management went to the Dominican and left believing they had a deal yet the got back to the US only to find out he had signed with the Mets. Damon is a much more classy guy than Pedro i see no reason why they would cheer pedro and boo damon...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:11 am

I just traded for him so as long as he pitches 7 scorless with double digit Ks, I'm cool with however they react to him. B-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby pangbones » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:27 am

I'm hoping he gets LIT UP!!! I think the fans will Cheer him.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Re: Pedro on Wednesday

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:30 am

jake_harv88 wrote:what are peoples thoughts on Pedro on wednesday. I hear a lot of people suggesting that he will get cheared, but i beg to differ. The "Fenway Unfaithful" boo-ed Damon and i know he went to the yankees but without Damon they would not have won the World Series. I'm not saying hes the reason they won it but without him they wouldn't have. Pedro burned the sox more than Damon did as well. The Sox management went to the Dominican and left believing they had a deal yet the got back to the US only to find out he had signed with the Mets. Damon is a much more classy guy than Pedro i see no reason why they would cheer pedro and boo damon...

There's quite a few reasons that they will cheer Pedro.

- He didn't go to the Yankees. You said that in your post, but obviously underestimated what it meant. If he came back to Fenway as a part of the Yankees he would be just as hated as Damon.

- While with the Sox, he was the face of the franchise with Nomar. He was the greatest pitcher most people had seen during the 98-01 span.

- He opened the doors for the Sox getting involved with the Dominican Republic. Without Pedro, we wouldn't have started scouting down there, etc.

- Even when he left, some people didn't want to resign him because they thought he was injured. Others thought it was ok he went to the NL because he would do better there. Most fans understood why he wasn't resigned.

- This one is against Damon, not for Pedro, but Damon was an ok center fielder and good leadoff hitter. He was no Sox legend, or anything close. Why does he deserve all this respect and to be cheered when he's a Yankee?

- Clemens got cheered when he came back as a Blue Jay. He then came back as a Yankee and was booed. Again, the Yankee thing is what's most important.

- Many fans here still follow Pedro and want him to do well. He was here for a while and became one of the most admired players the Sox have ever had. He also had a big Domincan following here, which I'm sure are still cheering for him to do well.

If I was there, I would be cheering for him. Obviosuly I hope he gets shelled, just like all opposing pitchers, but when he takes the mound I would be cheering.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:32 am

They BETTER cheer him, he was one of the best pitchers in Boston history and did so much for the team, glad to see him doing good! ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Kavorka » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 am

I hope they cheer him as well.

Isn't he due to break down any minute now Red Sox fans? When was that supposed to happen? Year 2, 3 or 4?
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:36 am

I think teddyballgame summed up my thoughts exactly. ;-D
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 43)

Postby nsulham » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am

I'm just hoping he doesn't pull a Clemens and strike out 14 as he glares up to the owner's box while walking off the field :-[

I think the fans will give him an overall positive reception, probably 80/20. If he didn't say some of the things he did in the media after he left, I'd say it'd be 100%.

teddyballgame's right though, the whole non-Yankee thing is a key point. If he were a Yankee and came back he'd be booed out of the park.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:43 am

Remember that game in Cleveland, game 5 I think, coming off the injury, pitched 6 innings of no hit ball, think about 7-8 k's...

That game alone should make the cheers go on for a good 5 mins
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:46 am

Trot Nixon wrote:Remember that game in Cleveland, game 5 I think, coming off the injury, pitched 6 innings of no hit ball, think about 7-8 k's...

That game alone should make the cheers go on for a good 5 mins

Yep. Came out of the bullpen and saved their hides. What a performance ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers