Gagne update............... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gagne update...............

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ReddawgT » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:58 am

From Rotoworld...

Eric Gagne was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday with pain in his lower back and is expected to remain overnight.
Gagne still hasn't begun a throwing program that he initially was scheduled to start last Friday, and it's believed his back pain is unrelated to any baseball activity. He's scheduled to be examined by Dr. Robert Watkins and more should be known about his condition on Thursday. Jul. 6 - 3:36 am et
ReddawgT
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bcb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:22 am

Ah, crap.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 am

i think he's done guys !+) ...it was fun while it lasted but it looks like his days as a dominant closer are over :~( ...i'm about ready to cut him loose in my league, i doubt we'll be getting much from him come playoff time :-t
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Mashug » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:37 am

Saito's value just went through the ceiling despite his bad outing yesterday. Grab him if for some crazy reason he's still available in your league
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 am

Mashug wrote:Saito's value just went through the ceiling despite his bad outing yesterday. Grab him if for some crazy reason he's still available in your league

I actually just dropped Coffey for him last night. Oddly, he was giving up the two runs at the exact time I was adding him. I didn't feel too good seeing those numbers being posted.

Still, my reluctance to swap Coffey for Saito was due to uncertainty over Gagne's return. So this is good news (for me, not for Gagne).
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jswede » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Mashug wrote:Saito's value just went through the ceiling despite his bad outing yesterday. Grab him if for some crazy reason he's still available in your league

correct me if I'm wrong, but Saito has 6 saves and he's been the Dodgers' full-time closer for nearly 2 months?

6 for 6 is impressive, but I'd need more save opp's before I'd call his value "thru the ceiling".
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mashug » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:42 pm

He's a MLB closer with excellent numbers. The save opportunities will come. Keep him or trade him. I'll bet he ends up with 20 saves this year
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beezer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 pm

I'll bet he ends up with more than 20 saves.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 pm

From ESPN : Gagne might need surgery for two herniated disks

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Dodgers closer Eric Gagne, limited to 16 appearances since the beginning of last season because of elbow problems, might need back surgery.

The 30-year-old right-hander was admitted to St. Vincent Medical Center on Wednesday because of lower back pain the Dodgers said was unrelated to baseball activity.

"Gagne was seen by Dr. [Robert] Watkins and had an MRI today," Dodgers trainer Stan Johnston said before Thursday night's game against the San Francisco Giants.

Johnston said the examination revealed two herniated disks.

"He was given a nerve block and an epidural injection, and they're going to re-evaluate him tomorrow," Johnston said, adding Gagne woke up Tuesday morning with "bad back pain."

"It's a disk herniation, so it's pressing on the nerve and that's where the pain is being caused," Johnston said.

Gagne remained hospitalized late Thursday. Johnston said he didn't know when the 2003 NL Cy Young Award winner would be discharged.

"It depends on how he reacts to the injections," Johnston said. "The injections shrink up the disk and takes the pressure off the nerve. He could be facing possible surgery if the injections don't work. They'll probably make the determination either tomorrow or the next day."

Johnson said Gagne was "very down" when he spoke with him.

"He was in a lot of pain," Johnston added.

When asked how close Gagne would have been to returning from his elbow problems, Johnston replied: "He was getting closer. It's hard to say because we haven't seen him in three days."

Gagne underwent surgery to remove a nerve from his right elbow April 7, causing him to miss the season's first 51 games. He made two one-inning appearances before going back on the disabled list because another nerve in his elbow caused discomfort.

Gagne hasn't pitched since June 6, when he struck out two in a perfect ninth inning of an 8-5 victory over the New York Mets to earn his first save in nearly a year.

The nerve that was removed in April was the same one that was moved during a season-ending operation on June 24, 2005. He pitched in 14 games last season with eight saves in as many chances.

Gagne, a three-time All-Star who holds the major-league record for consecutive saves converted with 84, pitched a scoreless inning June 2 against Philadelphia in his first appearance of the season. His outing against the Mets was his second.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2511677
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rwdiii » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:54 pm

Thanks for the update. I finally cut bait and dropped him earlier tonight for Eddie G. Sorry for Gagne on a personal level but glad I can finally part ways with him and not worry about him having a nasty comeback.
rwdiii
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates