World's Biggest Sunroof - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World's Biggest Sunroof

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

World's Biggest Sunroof

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:47 am

I guess you have to see it to believe it, cuz I sure as hell don't.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/a ... =34208&s=d

600 lbs. woman survives getting thrown through sunroof
Town N Country, Florida – A woman is in stable condition after being ejected through the sunroof of her SUV during an accident.

Thirty-seven-year-old Ruth Matthews told paramedics that another vehicle cut her off in traffic, and she took evasive action to avoid a crash. Her Isuzu Amigo rolled over and she was thrown through the sunroof and onto the roadway. Investigators say she was not wearing her seatbelt.

Paramedics initially tried to fly Matthews to Tampa General Hospital, but her weight, estimated at 600 pounds, made it impossible. Emergency crews were able to transport her to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where she is listed in stable condition.

Authorities are continuing their investigation
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:03 am

I don't believe it. Here's what an Isuzu Amigo looks like:

Now she could have been thrown out of the back of the thing, but not through the sunroof if she's really 600 pounds.

EDIT: I just watched the video. Notice how the sunroof is all bent outwards? Guess she really did go through it. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 am

Madison wrote:EDIT: I just watched the video. Notice how the sunroof is all bent outwards? Guess she really did go through it. Lol. :-b

i noticed that in the picture, but i couldn't get the video to load. still, that doesn't look like a sunroof bigger than my own that i can barely get my shoulders through and i'm only 200.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 am

Must have been one heck of a collision. To get that much propulsion to launch a 600 pound woman through a sunroof that actually has to 'pop' her through it, is amazing, to say the least, if true.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mugrila » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:23 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Must have been one heck of a collision.

8-o

No kidding. Thats just crazy.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:45 am

I think we need to look to science for our answer

Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation, named after Konstantin Tsiolkovsky who independently derived it, considers the principle of a rocket: a device that can apply an acceleration to itself (a thrust) by expelling part of its mass with high speed in the opposite direction, due to the conservation of momentum.

It says that for any maneuver or any journey involving a number of maneuvers:

\Delta v\ = v_e \ln \frac {m_0} {m_1}

or equivalently

m_1=m_0 e^{-\Delta v\ / v_e} or m_0=m_1 e^{\Delta v\ / v_e}

where m0 is the initial total mass, and m1 the final total mass and ve the velocity of the rocket exhaust with respect to the rocket (the specific impulse, or, if measured in time, that multiplied by gravity-on-Earth acceleration).

1-\frac {m_1} {m_0}=1-e^{-\Delta v\ / v_e}is the mass fraction (the part of the initial total mass that is spent as reaction mass).

Δv (delta v) is the integration over time of the magnitude of the acceleration produced by using the rocket engine (what would be the actual acceleration if external forces were absent). In free space, for the case of acceleration in the direction of the velocity, this is the increase of the speed. In the case of an acceleration in opposite direction (deceleration) it is the decrease of the speed.

Of course gravity and drag also accelerate the vehicle, and they can add or subtract to the change in velocity experienced by the vehicle. Hence delta-v is not usually the actual change in speed or velocity of the vehicle.

The equation is obtained by integrating the conservation of momentum equation

mdv = vedm

for a simple rocket that emits mass at a constant velocity (dm is here the reaction mass; if it is the change of the rocket mass then there is a minus sign in the latter equation).

Although an extreme simplification, the rocket equation captures the essentials of rocket flight physics in a single short equation. It also happens that delta-v is one of the most important quantities in orbital mechanics, that quantifies how difficult it is to perform a given orbital maneuver.

Clearly, to achieve a large delta-v, either m0 must be huge (growing exponentially as delta-v rises), or m1 must be tiny, or ve must be very high, or some combination of all of these.

In practice, this has been achieved by using very large rockets (increasing m0), with multiple stages (decreasing m1), and rockets with very high exhaust velocities. The Saturn V rockets used in the Apollo space program and the ion thrusters used in long-distance unmanned probes are good examples of this.

The rocket equation shows a kind of "exponential decay" of mass, not as a function of time, but as a function of delta-v produced. The delta-v that is the corresponding "half-life" is v_e \ln 2 \approx 0.693 v_e
Contents
[hide]
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby duckmonkey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:22 am

I want to know how a 600-pound woman even fit into an Amigo in the first place. They're small vehicles!

8-o
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:07 pm

duckmonkey wrote:I want to know how a 600-pound woman even fit into an Amigo in the first place. They're small vehicles!

8-o

Seriously; I'm having difficulty comprehending a 600 lb woman; that's what I want to see.

I mean, if Force = Mass x Accelleration, then 600 lbs of mass at any speed would create enough force to throw this lady through the roof of any car, let alone a sunroof. THAT's what I want to see.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Coppermine wrote:I'm having difficulty comprehending a 600 lb woman; that's what I want to see.

I really don't think you want to see that. I know I sure don't. :-o :-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I'm having difficulty comprehending a 600 lb woman; that's what I want to see.

I really don't think you want to see that. I know I sure don't. :-o :-P

LOL, I agree with you here

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to General Talk