Predicion on Hanley Ramirez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predicion on Hanley Ramirez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Interesting comparison

Postby tomdoyle3 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:45 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:Actually I don't mind the comparison, they both have really similar body types in that they're not conventional leadoff hitters w/ really small frames. Reyes I think is 6'1'' or 6'2", Hanley's around there as well. They're skinny now and fast, and I think in the long term they both gain about 10-15 pounds of muscle and fall into the 20 HR/35-40 SB range (maybe Reyes has a bit more speed, Hanley a bit more power).

The question is whether Hanley will ever have a good average due to his contact and plate discipline issues. It's not easy to say, "Oh, just b/c Jose Reyes is starting to do it, Hanley will as well." There has to be some evidence. Looking at last year, you see that Reyes had a decent contact rate, even though he never walked much (his contact rate was in the 80's, so theoretically good enough for a .280-.290 avg. w/ his speed). Hanley, however, strikes out about a quarter of the time, so his contact rate is a mediocre 75%. It indicates that long-term, unless he learns how to put the bat on the ball a little better, he won't be much better than a .270 hitter.

Which he will, you even said it yourself, he has just 3 months of experience. And with his speed, his BABIP is always going to be high. ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kurtangletn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:24 pm

If it hasn't already been said..

Hanely is the poor man's Jose Reyes
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball