Predicion on Hanley Ramirez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predicion on Hanley Ramirez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting comparison

Postby freeling_prideful » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Actually I don't mind the comparison, they both have really similar body types in that they're not conventional leadoff hitters w/ really small frames. Reyes I think is 6'1'' or 6'2", Hanley's around there as well. They're skinny now and fast, and I think in the long term they both gain about 10-15 pounds of muscle and fall into the 20 HR/35-40 SB range (maybe Reyes has a bit more speed, Hanley a bit more power).

The question is whether Hanley will ever have a good average due to his contact and plate discipline issues. It's not easy to say, "Oh, just b/c Jose Reyes is starting to do it, Hanley will as well." There has to be some evidence. Looking at last year, you see that Reyes had a decent contact rate, even though he never walked much (his contact rate was in the 80's, so theoretically good enough for a .280-.290 avg. w/ his speed). Hanley, however, strikes out about a quarter of the time, so his contact rate is a mediocre 75%. It indicates that long-term, unless he learns how to put the bat on the ball a little better, he won't be much better than a .270 hitter.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting comparison

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:07 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:Actually I don't mind the comparison, they both have really similar body types in that they're not conventional leadoff hitters w/ really small frames. Reyes I think is 6'1'' or 6'2", Hanley's around there as well. They're skinny now and fast, and I think in the long term they both gain about 10-15 pounds of muscle and fall into the 20 HR/35-40 SB range (maybe Reyes has a bit more speed, Hanley a bit more power).

See your wrong starting it right there, they don't have similiar body types. Hanley is already 6'3 or 6'4' and close to 200, his body type is much more built like Rentaria. Reyes on the other hand is pretty much just 6'0' and defiantly around 180 or so. Hanley has more room to grow into his body and eventually hit for more power, but that will also come at the cost of some speed.

I really don't think they are that similiar of players. Besides just being great athletes, they are different players to me.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby virgil22 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Points well taken....just wanted to see what others thought.
virgil22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Hanley Ramirez prediction...he won't win ROY.

Obviously....

Yes, Hanley was a great prospect in Boston's farm system and he's had success for the Marlins this year. Seriously, would he be playing in the majors this year if he weren't traded? I highly doubt it. He's not that great of a lead off pitcher nor is he a Jose Reyes but he will put those SB and get the Marlins (or any other team) some runs. No other team really needs a SS and so come to think of it he's actually doing pretty well his rookie year. The 2nd half will determine his success in the upcoming years but I'm assuming a 110+ runs scored and a 40+ SB.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Hanley will be a good player. But he'll never be Jose Reyes.

This bugs me.

Up until June, Reyes was a .250 hitter this season, with an OPS of under .720. He's had a great month...so what? He'll fall back to earth.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tommy John » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:26 pm

According to Sportsline

Reyes: 6'0 175lbs

Ramirez: 6'1 170lbs

Accurate?? I haven't seen them back to back, but pretty comparable if it is accurate.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 pm

Tommy John wrote:According to Sportsline

Reyes: 6'0 175lbs

Ramirez: 6'1 170lbs

Accurate?? I haven't seen them back to back, but pretty comparable if it is accurate.

It's not accurate. For Reyes it's pretty close, but that was Hanley's maybe 2 years ago ... he has grown quite a bit in the last couple years.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:41 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Hanley will be a good player. But he'll never be Jose Reyes.

This bugs me.

Up until June, Reyes was a .250 hitter this season, with an OPS of under .720. He's had a great month...so what? He'll fall back to earth.

i doubt it.. his eye for the ball has been much better of late.. i think hes turned a corner and is now becoming a sueprstar in this league..

and whoever said hanley is going to steal 40 bases and score 110runs this season is crazy.. i look for more along the lines of 35sbs with 95runs or so..
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:43 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

This bugs me.

i doubt it.. his eye for the ball has been much better of late.. i think hes turned a corner and is now becoming a sueprstar in this league..

and whoever said hanley is going to steal 40 bases and score 110runs this season is crazy.. i look for more along the lines of 35sbs with 95runs or so..

It's about mid-season. Usually you double what he has the first half of the season and that's not a very conservative estimate.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

This bugs me.

It's about mid-season. Usually you double what he has the first half of the season and that's not a very conservative estimate.

and to do that hes going to have to go on another hot streak like he did.. which he is most likely not going to do.. i cant think of many rookies that put up 40 sbs and 110 runs there first season in the majors :-t very unlikely.. wishful thinking though
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers