I got this guy in my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I got this guy in my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:42 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:It's his choice. He doesn't have to trade you. He feels he's got a better chance of catching you if he doesn't trade you and better your team.

A common and sometimes very smart strategy. No reason to get ticked off at him.

Exactly, I do the same thing. I'm hesitant to make trades with managers I'm contending with at the top if I think it will improve their team to do so. Don't blame him one bit.

But if I was in his shoes I'd have taken Beckett in a heartbeat.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm still confused by this. Why not trade with someone else?? Beckett could surely land you a nice SS. The other reason why he won't trade with you is becuase he's close to you in the standings.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SmartassBoiler » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:42 pm

I feel your pain. I'm up 20+ points in a roto league, have stockpiled a great pitching rotation, but can't trade pitching for some needed hitting because nobody wants to make my team stronger. :-/
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:49 pm

The other guy is a long-time champ and he doesn't want to give up and hand over the title. Can't blame him especially if he is in 4th.

Your repetitious offers of SPs is indicative that you just ain't gettin' OCab...ever.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Splendid61 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Beckett has a ERA of 4.84 in 15 starts this year, including 3 starts where he gave up 7 earned runs or more. He's never pitched more than 179 innings in a season. If this long-time league champ isn't doing well in Wins, he's probably being careful with his ERA. That's likely why he's turned down your Beckett/Pettite offers.

Also, this league sounds like the competition is somewhat weak, considering you are dominating despite Beckett and Pettite's swollen ERAs.

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:20 pm

I took early hits in WHIP and ERA with Pettite, Kazmir, King Felix, Becket and Zambrano's horrible first two games...

Fortunately, I've sat Pettite since then and Kazmir and Zambrano are dealing nearly every game since the rough start and Felix isn't bad, plus I've selectively sat a few of Becket's rough games... I've also got great MR and closers ERA and WHIP wise, so I'm climbing in those categories...The first two weeks were horrific though... MY SPs were getting shelled. I've crawled back though.
I've also got Jered Weaver, who was dealing like I've never seen for a rook. If he comes back with his same stuff, I'll climb a lot. Interesting thing was, even on the games they got shelled, they were racking up Ks and even Wins at times.... I'm currently over a K per inning pace.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:40 pm

To me it sounds like you know what you need to do, but are maybe a little reticent to do so.

The thing that keeps me interested in this, and it is THE most important thing, is making this kind of a decision. I mean we all have our rankings, but then again player distribution in each league affects rankings too. If people won't trade you what you need, you have to up the ante until the will. Even if that means overpaying. Its hard to believe that ocab is the best you can do. That said, everyone seems to assume in these questions that psotions and guys are evenly distributed, and they aren't. If there is one thing I learned in this game, sometimes you just have to pull the trigger. If it works out, your comeptition will probably say you were "lucky," but you know the truth, you sized up the market first and did what needed to be done.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby noseeum » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:12 pm

johnsamo wrote:I'm stacked in SPs and have been intenitonally over piching the first half of the season so I could trade an SP to fill a hole on offense. I'm first in wins and WAY AHEAD in Ks, so pitching I can spare. The offense has done WAY better than expected so steals is the only area I need to addresss. Like I said, I'm dealing from stength so am willing to overpay for my one potential weakness, but the guy won't do the deal.

So you mean you're tracking to be way over the innings pitched limit? If so, maybe that's why he's not trading. If he's been a champ for years, he ain't stupid. He knows you'll eventually have all of these useless studs that you'll have to give up for nothing if you want to improve your team.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:21 am

garf112 wrote:If I'm that guy, I'm not doing that trade either. Why would I make a trade that could just about rap up the league for you? It looks like you'll have to make a deal with a bottom feeder who is playing for next year or find someone off the wire.

Just what I was thinking. Hes blocking you. Its his strategy. I suggest you find a bottom feeder who has what you want and you might even have to overtrade with them by giving up a bit much....It will teach the guy a lesson once you and the bottom feeder climb up the ladder.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers