I got this guy in my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I got this guy in my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 am

I'm stacked in SPs and have been intenitonally over piching the first half of the season so I could trade an SP to fill a hole on offense. I'm first in wins and WAY AHEAD in Ks, so pitching I can spare. The offense has done WAY better than expected so steals is the only area I need to addresss. Like I said, I'm dealing from stength so am willing to overpay for my one potential weakness, but the guy won't do the deal.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:38 am

From experience I can say that people try not to trade with the 1st place team for the sole reason of not making an already good team better. Sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot. Let the guy shoot himself in the foot and look elsewhere for a 2B that steals.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mugrila » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:44 am

I would think that if you're willing to give up Josh Beckett for OC, you can get somebody else for Beckett. Somebody has to be willing to trade with you.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby garf112 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:47 am

If I'm that guy, I'm not doing that trade either. Why would I make a trade that could just about rap up the league for you? It looks like you'll have to make a deal with a bottom feeder who is playing for next year or find someone off the wire.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:49 am

Mugrila wrote:I would think that if you're willing to give up Josh Beckett for OC, you can get somebody else for Beckett. Somebody has to be willing to trade with you.

Agreed. Whether they're starting on another team or not, Beckett is worth a higher tier of SS then OC.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:55 am

It's his choice. He doesn't have to trade you. He feels he's got a better chance of catching you if he doesn't trade you and better your team.

A common and sometimes very smart strategy. No reason to get ticked off at him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:57 am

garf112 wrote:If I'm that guy, I'm not doing that trade either. Why would I make a trade that could just about rap up the league for you? It looks like you'll have to make a deal with a bottom feeder who is playing for next year or find someone off the wire.

i kind of agree.

whenever i look to make trades in a 5x5, i look for what i need, but also want to make sure i'm not helping a guy climb too much in a given category
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

look for waivers

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:05 am

no need to make this trade man. Beckett will pull in much better talent than ocab. Why make a trade just because you can??? You shouldn't lower your standards just becasue you are way ahead. Anyway you might be able to get gathright/bartlett off waivers and they might help you out in the SB category. Bartlett is a SS too...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:20 pm

Believe me I've tried everybody. Everybody else who has a stud SS doesn't have a spare one like this guy. I guess it comes down to nobody wanting to let me locked up the league. If Pujols stays healthy though, I don't see how I can possibly lose. I had a HUGE lead with him and I slipped but still managed to stay in first while he was out, so I'm in real good shape to run away with it. My only fear now is losing Crawford and plummeting in steals. That might give 2 other guys a shot at me, doubtful, but if they played well and my guys went cold it could happen.

By our trade deadline, I may be able to make an offer a lower ranked team can't refuse. With the SP talent I've got stacked up, I can only choose 3 SPs as keeper and that means even Jered Weaver can be thrown into the mix. I can't imagine a last place team with weak SPs passing up a chance to wrap up either Weaver or Beckett as a keeper.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:32 pm

In a keeper league, I'm not even sure why you want to do this. It sounds like you're shooting for perfection. That's an impulse I can understand, but in a keeper no way I want to give a guy like Beckett away. Maybe down the road, if someone starts making a serious run at you. It sounds like your team is pretty kick-ass right now as it is.

I've won my primary league the last few years, and there's only one guy in the league who's secure enough to trade with me. Nobody wants to help that guy who's already number one. Thank of it as a compliment, Johnsamo. It's good to be the king. B-)
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers