National Anthony Reyes Day 6/27 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

National Anthony Reyes Day 6/27

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:12 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:it looks like he may have been 'duncanized'. reyes throws a good 4 seam fastball with life but occasionally leaves it up in the zone which results in fly outs and the occasional homer. pitching coach dave duncan basically forces everyone to throw sinking two seamers to try to get ground ball outs. reyes really struggles with the two seamer but tony and dave duncan apparently decided it would be best for reyes to regularly throw his 4th or 5th best pitch instead of his regular stuff. :-t :~(

I've heard this as well...especially the part about him really struggling in the minors trying to master a 2-seamer.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:15 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:it looks like he may have been 'duncanized'. reyes throws a good 4 seam fastball with life but occasionally leaves it up in the zone which results in fly outs and the occasional homer. pitching coach dave duncan basically forces everyone to throw sinking two seamers to try to get ground ball outs. reyes really struggles with the two seamer but tony and dave duncan apparently decided it would be best for reyes to regularly throw his 4th or 5th best pitch instead of his regular stuff. :-t :~(

I've heard this as well...especially the part about him really struggling in the minors trying to master a 2-seamer.

If LaRussa is THAT dumb to try to fix what isn't broken, then some Cards fans need to enlighten him in a hurry.

Then again I forget that we are talking about the man that would sit Babe Ruth against tough lefties.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby flowbee » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:27 am

Ok tomorrow...Reyes is playing indoors so the rain cant screw up his start. He's playing the Astros, who have been quite bad. He has no excuses this time. ;-D

If he struggles I'm gonna get worried
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:24 am

Hmm, going up against the Rocket is not the best of matchups, but I'm hoping Reyes can make a case for himself to remain on two teams :-?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:50 pm

dog poo
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Yup. Why is it that every rookie I take a chance on is total garbage? Well it makes a decision on who to cut in a couple of leagues very easy.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:19 pm

It seems like he is throwing less change ups which was his out pitch in his first couple of starts. His curve and slider are below average IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Richie Rich » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:48 pm

finally time to dump him?? my team is in my sig...i really could use another hitter on my bench... thanks
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Richie Rich wrote:finally time to dump him?? my team is in my sig...i really could use another hitter on my bench... thanks

I would say that if you need his roster spot, then he is very cuttable. I have a short leash wrt rookie pitchers that damage my team. I see no reason to hang onto this kid unless you have spare roster room and can leave him reserved.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Wow, that was a quick switch from National Anthony Reyes Day to "dump this chump!"

Through 4 innings, he had a good line: 4 inn, 2 h, 1 er, 2 bb, 3 k, while throwing ~66 pitches.

The 5th was not good, as it went:
2B
P-4 (out 1)
BB
SAC (out 2)
3-run HR (on a 3-2 count to Biggio)
2B
K (out 3)

His final line was bad. Still, he was one strike away from getting through 5 solid innings and Minute Maid Park is a right-handed-hitter's HR heaven, with the short porch in left.

Obviously, if you have a better option, dump him. I'm going to hang onto him for a little while longer, though.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers