Warren Buffet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Warren Buffet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Warren Buffet

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:06 pm

I'm sure most of you have heard of this already. It's being talked about pretty thoroughly here, since Buffet lives here. I once saw Buffet eating in a Burger King, believe it or not. That was over 10 years ago.

Warren Buffet To Donate $37 Billion To Gates Foundation

June 26, 2006 2:22 p.m. EST

Julie Farby - All Headline News Staff Writer
New York, NY (AHN)-Warren Buffett, the world's second-richest person, is donating about $37 billion-more than 80 percent of his fortune-to foundations run by his friend Bill Gates and by the Buffett family.

The announcement by the 75-year-old Buffett comes just days after Microsoft Chairman Gates said he would move away from his day-to-day role at the software giant to focus more on charity work, and highlights the close friendship of the world's two richest men.

According to the Reuters report, the 50-year-old Gates is a bridge partner of Buffett's and a director of Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett's investment firm. Buffett also serves on the board of the Washington Post Co. with Gates' wife Melinda.

According to Stacy Palmer, editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, Buffet's donation is the largest commitment to a philanthropic cause ever made by one person in the United States. Palmer says, "Even if you look at what (John D.) Rockefeller and (Andrew) Carnegie gave historically -- even if you do it in today's numbers, it doesn't come close to that."

The Gates foundation is one of the world's richest philanthropic organizations-committing millions of dollars to fighting diseases such as malaria and tuberculosis in developing countries, and to education and library technology in the United States.

According to Forbes magazine, Buffett, chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway, is worth an estimated $44 billion, making him the world's second-richest man behind Gates, who is worth about $50 billion.

In a letter to Gates and his wife, Buffett writes: "You have committed yourselves to a few extraordinarily important but underfunded issues, a policy that I believe offers the highest probability of your achieving goals of great consequence."
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:31 pm

I read about this today and it really is instilling my confidence in the social responsibilities of America's wealthiest citizens.

What's interesting is that a philanthroper will often want to create his own foundation for reason of having a legacy and namesake put to the charity, but here he just forks some over to Bill Gates and says do what you want; it's great. Way to go Warran and Bill ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:35 pm

Bill Gates for President! Buffet for President!

Margarittaville is a good song too ;-D j/k
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:55 pm

Coppermine wrote:I read about this today and it really is instilling my confidence in the social responsibilities of America's wealthiest citizens.

What's interesting is that a philanthroper will often want to create his own foundation for reason of having a legacy and namesake put to the charity, but here he just forks some over to Bill Gates and says do what you want; it's great. Way to go Warran and Bill ;-D

I believe he does have his own charity, but he felt Gates and his wife could use it to do more for their foundation. He is a good guy. He has a very modest house in midtown Omaha.

That's right. I know where he lives.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:31 pm

I just heard an extensive report on NPR; Buffet does not have his own charity or foundation per se, nor did he want one simply because he did not want to have to spend time doling out his money and worrying about the insecurities of a new foundation. Instead he is giving well over 80% of his entire fortune to Bill and Melinda Gates, with the rest being divided equally to the four charitable foundation his children run. He did explicitly say that very little money will be going to his children, as he is a firm believe in people generating their wealth. Buffet is also an admirer of Andrew Carnegie who once said that money generated from society should be returned to society.

This is such amazing news; Bill and Melinda Gates have already effectively saved millions of lives throughout the world from vaccinations alone. They also contribute heavily to education here in the United States.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:58 pm

Good ear Copper. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Why can't Gates just donate to his own charity and then Buffett could donate to another?? That way, 2 charities benefit. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fore! » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Why can't Gates just donate to his own charity and then Buffett could donate to another?? That way, 2 charities benefit. ;-)

:-?
Fore! Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:34 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Why can't Gates just donate to his own charity and then Buffett could donate to another?? That way, 2 charities benefit. ;-)

Gates' foundation is pretty widespread and is the most philanthropic in the country. Buffett specifically gave it to the Gates foundation because was sure it would go to the right causes and organizations.

When it comes to charity, it's not the charities that benefit, but those receiving it. I personally believe quite strongly in what the Gates Foundation does; saving lives, helping those less fortunate, feeding the hungry, vaccinating the sick and improving educations here at home.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Coppermine wrote:

Gates' foundation is pretty widespread and is the most philanthropic in the country. Buffett specifically gave it to the Gates foundation because was sure it would go to the right causes and organizations.

When it comes to charity, it's not the charities that benefit, but those receiving it. I personally believe quite strongly in what the Gates Foundation does; saving lives, helping those less fortunate, feeding the hungry, vaccinating the sick and improving educations here at home.

The Gates' Foundation is probably the only charity organization that can even handle the huge influx of money.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to General Talk