Re-Acquire Lohse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Re-Acquire Lohse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re-Acquire Lohse?

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:53 pm

I dropped Kyle Lohse awhile back when he was falling apart. He's looking pretty good his last few starts. Do you guys think he's worth dropping Jason Phillips for (I just re-activated Piazza from the DL, but I'm not sure if I should keep Jason as insurance)
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:55 pm

i dont know about lohse. let's see how he fares in his next outing
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby quickfingerz » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:00 am

He'll be good for wins because Minn seems to have a very easy schedule for the rest of the way. Easiest in the AL if I recall.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DINO » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:28 am

When you pitch as bad as he did there is nowhere to go but up. He is going to have some good games but he burned me so bad I won't touch him.
DINO
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:11 am

I also dropped him, but I picked him back up about a week ago. The Twins are playing better and have a very easy schedule the rest of the year, with many games against the Tigers.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:34 am

Minnesota only plays 7 more games against the Tigers.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:39 am

Madison wrote:Minnesota only plays 7 more games against the Tigers.

The Twins have 43 games left and 7 are against the Tigers so that means that 16% of their remaining games are against the Tigers. Sorry, Mad. I couldn't resist based on you other "math" thread. LOL :-D :-D

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=22122
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:42 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:Minnesota only plays 7 more games against the Tigers.

The Twins have 43 games left and 7 are against the Tigers so that means that 16% of their remaining games are against the Tigers. Sorry, Mad. I couldn't resist based on you other "math" thread. LOL :-D :-D

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=22122

Lol. :-) No problem. I just wanted to point out that 1 maybe 2 starts against Det. was possible. What's your take on the other "math" question? Do you think Kolb is a viable option for a contending team?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:53 am

If you REALLY want to know, then I slightly agree with the others because, based on your numbers, Pujols is owned by only 10% of the teams (in a 10 team league). With Kolb being owned by 9.3% of the teams, that's not that different, especially compared to a 1st round pick vs. a FA pickup. While he won't make someone a contender out of nowhere, he is a nice end of the rotation pickup rather than a dud SP if you have an extra spot. That said, I understand your reasoning and calculations. I just agree to disagree slightly.

As for Lohse, I agree. He MIGHT have 2 starts against the Tigers and even as bad as they are, they are (sometimes) a MLB club who can light anyone up on any given night. I would pick him up with caution.

I have an honest question.......In my HTH league, should I drop Sasaki for Kolb? I am not sure if Sasaki will ever get it right this year but am also worried because I also have Hasegawa and wouldn't want to get stuck with a middle reliever in a week or so. Hasegawa SHOULD close for the rest of the year but that doesn't mean that it will happen.

P.S. Kolb is up to 94% owned in ESPN. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:05 am

That's exactly the explanation I was looking for. ;-D I agree with you 8-o . Yea, I know, it's a suprise isn't it :-D ? What I was trying to get at is not to let yourself be fooled by what percentage of leagues Kolb's owned in affect your better judgement.

I think we'd agree that Pujols would be a boost to anyone's fantasy team, right? Well, Kolb would not. I have 9 pitching spots in the league where he's availiable and no inning limit. I have:

Hudson
RJ
Mussina
Wood
Zambrano
Woody Williams
Smoltz
Izzy
Cordero

Would he be beneficial to me? Of course not. What's his Yahoo rank? It doesn't matter. He is of no help to me.

Just because 94% :-D of Espn leagues have him doesn't mean that he's a good option to take. That's all I was trying to point out.

People are too influenced by what other people are doing to make the right choices for their fantasy teams. Check the trade section. People have Beltran, Manny, Anderson with Giambi at utility and want to know if they should go after Bonds because he's 100% owned in Espn leagues or his Yahoo rank is #3. Just doesn't make sense.

Too many people don't take the time to look at what they really need, instead of taking the easy way out and just going off rankings, % owned, etc.

Fantasy ball takes a little work if you want to win. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers