Minor League Manager Explodes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Minor League Manager Explodes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Manager Explodes

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:42 pm

The manager of a Single-A team threw a conniption fit onfield after a call went against his team.

This is making huge headlines, but this sort of thing happens every day. I personally witnessed a very similar explosion by a manager from a visiting team here in our Independent league when the 1B umpire called not one but two of their guys out at First when they were CLEARLY safe (neither call was even very close). The guy went ballistic and tossed the bat rack, helmets, spare gloves, bottles, etc. out on the field. He took up almost ten minutes with his tirade, and we all loved it.

You can see video of the Single-A guy here. There's no video of the guy I saw. Too bad, too - it was great.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Minor league manager Joe Mikulik had a major league tantrum Sunday night.

The manager of the Asheville Tourists, a Class-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies in the South Atlantic League, turned Applebee's Park into a one-man show following a close call at second base in the fifth inning of a 5-2 loss to Lexington Legends. (Click here for video of the incident.)

Lexington's Koby Clemens -- whose famous father Roger made a tuneup start for the Legends this month after re-signing with the Houston Astros -- was leading off second base after hitting an RBI double when Asheville pitcher Brandon Durden tried to pick him off.

Umpire Andy Russell called Clemens safe, sending Mikulik roaring out of the dugout and setting off a prolonged tirade that he carried all over the infield and into the dugout.

"I thought the strike was over," Mikulik told the Lexington Herald-Leader. "When will the real umpires show up? That's what I want to know. Because that was an abortion. That was bad. The whole series was awful."

Mikulik's antics started innocently enough with an animated argument with Russell, who then threw Mikulik out of the game.

Things quickly escalated after his ejection. Mikulik dove into second base, ripped up the bag and hurled it onto the infield dirt. He threw a resin bag into the bullpen, covered home plate with dirt and then cleaned it with a water bottle, which he finally spiked onto the plate.

Back in the dugout, he tossed several bats onto the field. And he didn't stop once he got to the clubhouse, according to team officials. Mikulik pushed a couple of water coolers, a chair and a batting practice screen in front of the umpires' locker room.

"I just wish the umpire's association would train their young men to have a personality," he said. "I could get two mannequins at Sears and umpire better than what I saw this whole series."

Despite redecorating half the infield, Mikulik said he's not worried about running into trouble with South Atlantic League president John Henry Moss.

"I already talked to John Henry, I've got that covered," he said. "This ain't my first rodeo. ... I didn't touch anybody. I never bumped anybody. ... I actually cleaned home plate for them, so they should give me a tip for that."
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Have you seen the video? I saw it on the news this morning; he does it all... kicking dirt, the lines, pulling out second base, throwing it across the field, covering the plate, spiking his water bottle... it's quite a show.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Gosh I freakin just posted this in baseball leftovers :) Actually someone else posted it yesterday too

Oh well.

yea its hilarious ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:Have you seen the video? I saw it on the news this morning; he does it all... kicking dirt, the lines, pulling out second base, throwing it across the field, covering the plate, spiking his water bottle... it's quite a show.

You can find it linked in the article I linked to. I was laughing here at the office - I don't usually do that, but it was pretty funny.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 pm

knapplc wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Have you seen the video? I saw it on the news this morning; he does it all... kicking dirt, the lines, pulling out second base, throwing it across the field, covering the plate, spiking his water bottle... it's quite a show.

You can find it linked in the article I linked to. I was laughing here at the office - I don't usually do that, but it was pretty funny.

VIDEO!! sweet
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Don't forget throwing the bats. :-]
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:55 pm

yeah, saw it in Leftovers earlier, then ACS felt the need to post it again :-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:57 pm

acsguitar wrote:
knapplc wrote:

VIDEO!! sweet

Yeah, it was all over SportsCenter.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Thats good, clean baseball fun, I don't care who you are. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Tavish wrote:Thats good, clean baseball fun, I don't care who you are. ;-D

I liked when he dove into 2nd and also when the bat boy look terrifed that he was gonna get hit by a flying projectile
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk