TIGERS TRADE TALK: Soriano or Abreu a possibility?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

TIGERS TRADE TALK: Soriano or Abreu a possibility??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:57 pm

moochman wrote:This is a little disappointing in that I don't know that the DRays were asking that much. We could have packaged Tata and Dimitri Young for Huff. Okay, DaMeatHook and some cash. That way they could have a SP who is ready to take the mound in Tampa and have Delmon's older bro to show him how to conduct himself as a pro. :-? Okay, it's a little flawed.

But couldn't the Tigers have come up with something better to offer without destroying the core of the franchise?

Don't know how much stock to put into an Abreu trade. He seems overvalued at this point and the Phillies would surely want a lot for him.
Don't underrate the players that were traded for Huff. While they aren't exactly top prospects, the pitcher included was a solid middle tier pitching prospect (although I think Tata is a step up from him) and Zobrist is about as good of a position prospect than anybody else in the Tigers organization not named Maybin (and maybe Larish too), although that isn't exactly saying tons about him. And the Astros are also going to pay Huff's remaining salary (or most of it, I'm not sure). Somehow I doubt the Tigers were going to offer more than Houston. I have a feeling they are holding out for a bargain.

Huff would have been ok as a solid left handed hitter, but I still wouldn't have been too happy with his defense. A left fielder IMO is #1 priority so Thames can DH and Monroe can play less. Huff is no better in LF than Thames, probably even worse.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:25 pm

Nats asking for Humberto, Jurrjens AND possibly Clevlen???

The Tigers are one of at least four teams playing deadline poker with the Washington Nationals in pursuit of powerful outfielder Alfonso Soriano. And the ante is steep.

The Nationals want three prospects, and have asked that prized right-hander Humberto Sanchez be included in the deal. Sanchez (5-2, 3.19 ERA at Triple-A Toledo) has pitched superbly since his promotion from Double-A Erie. He started and pitched one perfect inning in the All-Star Futures Game, and has an overall potential that compares favorably to that of rookies Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya.

Washington officials are requesting a package that includes Sanchez, rising prospect Jair Jurrjens (3-2, 2.78 at Double-A Erie) and a position player, likely outfielder Brent Clevlen, a former second-round pick.

Soriano is hitting .283 with 29 home runs  10 more than the Tigers leader, Marcus Thames  and has 23 stolen bases. Still, the Tigers interest in meeting the Nationals demands remains unclear. Other teams in pursuit of Soriano include the Angels, Mariners, and Yankees.

It would be rare to trade a prospect of Sanchezs caliber for a player who will enter free agency at the end of this season, as Soriano will. However, the Tigers have been so good this season that club officials may want to seize the opportunity to infuse power into the lineup for the pennant race.

Soriano would be a decent addition to the line-up but not at that cost imo. Maybe if he agreed to an extension ahead of time but that package for a 3 month rental sounds like a mistake to me.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:30 am

I think the only way they trade for Soriano is if they have an agreement for a new contract prior to making the trade. I don't know that I wouldn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Soriano is a career 30-30 type guy, giving the Tigers speed they need without sacrificing pop in his bat. Strikes out a lot, so should fit in with the rest of the team. As long as he doesn't think that playing second is an option I could live with him in LF.

Sanchez is the next big deal, but let's not forget that he has had injuries in the past and we have lots of pitching depth in the minors.
Jair Jurrjens is simply too hard to spell for him to be a big leaguer. Seriously though, we have depth there. Plus, save Rogers and Kerosine Jones, our pitching staff are mostly approaching prime years or younger.

Cleven I would give up because it would mean not giving up Maybin.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:38 am

I have issues with Soriano's defense. I don't really think he is better than Thames in LF. He might even be worse. But he would be a huge offensive upgrade.

I also think people are somewhat overrating Sanchez. Yes, he is a great prospect, but I don't think he is some untouchable possible super-stud in the class of Verlander and Zumaya. I think he is a perfect player to trade away, if the return is good enough.

I also don't think the Tigers necessarily need to go out and get a big name. What about lesser players who may or may not be available? Players like Dave Dellucci and Jeff DaVanon spring to mind. Both are left handed batters (DaVanon is a switch hitter more effective from the left). Both play a good outfield and make opposing pitchers work drawing many walks. And I'm sure there are other similar players out there if neither of them are available.

There is also time for the price of players like Abreu or Soriano to come down slightly. This is a good time for sellers to throw out astronomical prices on players and look for desperate teams to bite. Look at what Washington did to Cincinnati. BTW, I heard that Soriano will not be testing the FA market, so don't count on him signing an extension if he's traded. On the flip side, I heard Abreu might want to use that no trade clause of his to make any possible team trying to acquire him extend him through 2011. That's just a rumor as far as I know.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:06 pm

i'm torn on Soriano...he'd be a huge offensive upgrade over Monroe, but i'm not sure the Tigers could sign him long term or even if i'd want them too.

i wouldnt mind parting with the prospects if it meant a World Series, but sadly, i just dont think this team can get there, even with a Soriano :,-(
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:15 am

It looks like we can cross Carlos Lee off of our wish list

The Milwaukee Brewers are trading slugger Carlos Lee to the Texas Rangers as part of a multi-player deal, ESPN.com learned Friday.

The Brewers are sending Lee, minor-league outfield prospect Nelson Cruz and a player to be named later to the Rangers for relief pitcher Francisco Cordero and outfielders Kevin Mench and Laynce Nix.

Both teams are checking for any medical issues before consummating the deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2532418
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:29 am

Clocks ticking down. Abreu is gone (and went super cheap). I'm guessing Abreu played his no-trade clause and forced a trade to NY or none at all. All seems to be relatively quiet for the Tigers...at least for the moment. Not looking like anything major will happen. Maybe the play of Monroe and DY along with Humberto's injury have stalled pursuit of a major offensive upgrade?
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers