Khalil Greene - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Khalil Greene

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Khalil Greene

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:43 am

Alright, this guys was highly touted coming out of Clemson. He won the the Golden Spikes and seemed to have been on the fast track beforre getting hurt and losing on a possible ROY title in 2004. His power numbers have been stagnant and his avg has fallen every year thus far. I know this guy plays in Petco and does suffer some because of it but this guy has a crazy amount of talent. Its interesting because the tools are obviously there he's just not producing. Anybody see any hope for him? How does he rate as a keeper now that his stock has fallen so?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:50 pm

BUMP
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby stumpak » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:05 pm

I'd say that he rates poorly as a keeper. You are right that the talent is there, or was thought to be there, but the chances of him breaking out to be a top 5 SS in the next couple of years seem very low.

There is a far better possibility that he will be a top 10 SS in the near future, but there are few formats where a #10 SS is a good value keeper. Most years, once you get past the top 5 SSs, there is very little differentiation between the next 10 guys. So I would not keep him when the likely growth trajectory is something only modestly beter than the WW replacement value.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flowbee » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:55 pm

20 homeruns for a shortstop aint too shabby. He's on pace for 80+ rbis.

I think he's bound to get his average over .255 before the years out. He's a good player to platoon when he's on the road although he's hit 5 homers both home and away this year

If he were to get traded to a better hitter's park and had better lineup support, he could definitely have a rise in value
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:38 pm

It's the declining avg. and the lack of improvement in his walk and K #s that concerns me. With his age and the playing time he's had, he should progressing, not regressing. The power's great, but for a guy hitting 222, you need to have a LOT of power... I don't know if it's him or the wrong batting coach or what, but there's defintely a change in approach that has to be made.

I'm almost wondering if he can catch. I can live with his #s (barely) at the C spot, but from the SS slot, the two top things I would demand (as a coach, not a FBB Manager) are a good glove and good obp, they are a must, anything else is gravy.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Laean » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:32 pm

johnsamo wrote:It's the declining avg. and the lack of improvement in his walk and K #s that concerns me. With his age and the playing time he's had, he should progressing, not regressing. The power's great, but for a guy hitting 222, you need to have a LOT of power... I don't know if it's him or the wrong batting coach or what, but there's defintely a change in approach that has to be made.

I'm almost wondering if he can catch. I can live with his #s (barely) at the C spot, but from the SS slot, the two top things I would demand (as a coach, not a FBB Manager) are a good glove and good obp, they are a must, anything else is gravy.

he has an excellent glove.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flowbee » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:29 pm

I would suggest activating him on your roster if the need at SS is there

He's on the upswing again, raising his BA from .209 to .230 since June 18th.

He's on pace for a career year (well best year yet at least), even if his average has sucked in the first half
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:40 pm

I have this thing against low avg. hitters even if they have power, because I can find power with average. In a deep league, sometimes you don't have a choice, but in most 12 team leagues, there are better options. Plus, I want certain things from each position on my team.... 1st and 3rd I want high avg. high power, Catcher I want decent all around #s with a high obp. MI, I want runs, avg. obp and some steals... Outfiled I want a speed guy, a power guy and one inbetween. Utility I platoon either for avg, power or speed depending on where my other 9 are weak.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:57 am

actually johnsamo, The Padres did change their hitting coach about a week ago. Its not often that a 1st place team changes a major coach like that mid season, but it was something that trully needed to be done.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:56 am

I've been watching the Pads #s, and thought that a 279 average is offly low to be leading the team in average. Everybody has off years, but when an entire team underperforms, something is off. They are winning though, but that seems to be due to pitching and a great set-up closer combo.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers