In Need of Some Advice **UPDATED** Trade OFFER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

In Need of Some Advice **UPDATED** Trade OFFER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In Need of Some Advice **UPDATED** Trade OFFER

Postby Element » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:18 am

I am in an 11 team roto auction keeper league (OBP in place of runs scored. $260 draft cap). My offense is best in the league placing top 4 in every catagory minus homers (7th). However, my pitching isn't exactly turning heads (8th overall). I am currently in 2nd place (1 point away from 1st).

Our league limits the number of waive moves you can use over the course of the season. I have 6 of my 10 moves remaining.

Here is my team. Keep in mind that there is not a bench, so all players are active at all times. DH's qualify as OF'ers. All FA pickups are given a $20 value. Players in parenthesis are replacement players that would require a waive to keep once DL'd player returns from DL. Releasing a replacement player does not cost me a move:

C - Russell Martin $20
C - Brian McCann $5
1B - Todd Helton $26
2B - Rickie Weeks $12
3B - Scott Rolen $10
SS - Michael Young $12
UI - Aramis Ramirez $17
UI - Felipe Lopez $10
OF - Travis Hafner $11
OF - Bobby Abreu $37
OF - Jermaine Dye $9
OF - JD Drew $4
OF - Curtis Granderson $5
OF - Frank Thomas $20 (DL) - Jason Kubel $20
P - Jake Peavy $20
P - Felix Hernandez $8
P - Jason Schmidt $15
P - John Patterson $10
P - Kelvim Escobar $4
P - Cole Hamels $20
P - Ryan Dempster $9
P - Mike Gonzalez $5
P - Eric Gagne $21 (DL) - Okinori Otsuka $20

keeper rules - add $5 to keep. max of 7 players

My offense is more than set. I have a 4 point lead over 2nd place in batting average and a 18 point lead over 2nd place in OBP. So those are my strengths.

Pitching is a different story:

ERA - 4.123 (6 pts)
WHIP - 1.275 (8 pts)
WINS - 35 (2 pts)
SAVES - 40 (5.5 pts)
K's - 563 (9 pts)

I am 0.5 runs away from catching 4th place in ERA (3.595). Same with WHIP (3rd place has a 1.254). I have several owners right behind me in both catagories. I only need another 3 strikeous to catch 2nd place and just 21 more to catch 1st. There is only 1 team within 30 strikeouts of me.

Wins and Saves are what is really puzzling me. I am 10 wins away from the middle of the pack (I only gain 2 points to get there). I am only 7 wins away from 3rd place in saves (3.5 pts).

Anthony Reyes is available. Should I drop either Hamels or Escobar for him? What makes the most sense for me? Anyone else have any insight on which direction I should take my team?
Last edited by Element on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Get Reyes

Postby FantasyZealot » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:37 am

Escobar has been less than impressive with a low k rate this season and is always expected to end up on the dl. I am also worrysome of Cole Hamels fragile frame as well as his control issues.

I think Reyes has shown a lot of poise in his few starts and is finally there to stay. Reyes has the stuff to stick around, not to mention he is on a team that is going to win him some games.

I think you have also gotten some bad luck with Felix and Peavy. Felix should produce a much better ERA and WHIP the rest of the way and Peavy has been cleared to pitch with his last MRI.

Hamels did look good in his last start (as well as escobar), so it is really a flip of the coin with them. However, I do think Reyes would be an improvement over either.
FantasyZealot
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:45 am

Escobar was hit real hard today by the D-Backs too. I guess I do have more faith in him than Hamels over the rest of the season though. But Escobar hasn't won a game in over a month. Hamels is definately more inconsistant.

I think whichever I don't dump now, I will drop when Gagne returns so that I can keep Otsuka. So perhaps the question could be, which one do I stick with over the next month & a half?

Given my placement in the standings, should I maybe move another starter for another closer? I'm losing faith in the Cubs and Dempster.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Closer

Postby FantasyZealot » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 am

I was going to mention the tough times you are probably facing with your closer situation. It seems that Dempster and Gonzalez are getting about as many save situations as Hideki Matsui is getting at bats these days.

I would trust Escobar over Hamels because of his track record, and I do see the Angels getting better. They have started to put it all together and with a trade of Jeff Weaver and a promotion of Jered, the Angels might be able to get motivated again. I also see them getting a bat one way or another so escobar could see some wins.

A hamels for reyes would be a straight swap in value ($20) so it might be a better option. Escobar is nice and cheap at $4.

I would try and pull something for another closer, preferably one that plays for a good team. See any possible trade partners?
FantasyZealot
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:59 am

Actually, yes. Just a little bit ago someone posted the availability of Lidge, Street & K-Rod. He's in dead last by a mile and looking for freezes. As much as I love Michael Young, it may be time to part ways....
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Element » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:14 pm

The owner in last place has Huston Street, K-Rod & Brad Lidge. He is looking for freezes for 2007 and is dealing his closers. I have been talking with him for a couple of days and were close to something like this:

I Give:

Michael Young $12, Curtis Granderson $5 & Ryan Dempster

I Get:

K-Rod, Rollins $13 & Kubel

I currently have Kubel. He's offering Reed Johnson, whom I have no need for since i an 1st in avg & obp by a lot. When I activate Thomas, he uses a waive on Johnson to add Kubel to his roster and this deal.

I don't really consider Granderson a 2007 keeper at $10, but Young is the tough one to get rid of here at $17. I like Rollins as a 2nd half player and there are a couple of points to be had in steals. The Angels should be better in the 2nd half, so K-Rod should get some more apperences.

Good deal for me considering?
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Element » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:04 pm

anyone?
Element
General Manager
General Manager