Edwin Jackson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Edwin Jackson

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Edwin Jackson

Postby WebHamster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:13 am

This thread contains comments on Adam Lewis's Sleeper "Edwin Jackson", which was featured in the Cafe's Sleepers section on June 25, 2006. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 482)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 am

Good read ;-D ! Could definitely be a nice sleeper pick there. Bet he gets picked up in a bunch of leagues tomorrow. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ehk103 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:09 pm

Although many people will say that in a tough AL East, it would be difficult to get many save opportunities, I still like Jackson's chances as a mid-tier closer. Tampa Bay needs some key people clicking at the same time to allow this to happen: Lugo, Huff and Baldelli.
Çapt. Nintendo
ehk103
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:03 pm

until he finds some consistency, he won't do much. The Dodgers really screwed him up by rushing him. I don't know too much about what they did with his mechanic though. The D-Rays screwed Brazelton up by messing with his mechanic.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:17 am

About the Edwin Jackson article....

Sleeper of the Week
During the summer, the Devil Rays traded their All-Star closer for two of the Dodgers’ top pitching prospects. One of those prospects was Edwin Jackson.

Jackson was traded Jan 14th...that's the winter.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Devil Rays second half closer

Postby joshc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:03 pm

I read a report that Seth McClung might become the Rays 2nd half closer as opposed to Jackson. Have you heard this at all?
joshc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Seth was sent down to work on being the closer. Maddon has been reluctant to play Ejax in the end of the game and has had him come in for starters who are faltering and pitch 2-3 innings. If he gets a chance at closing he will take it, but keep an eye on seth b/c i think they are now determined to give him a shot and he is good for closing situations.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mordraken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:59 am

I really don't buy the Edwin Jackson as a closer article. He seems way to unreliable for that role. Looking at his game log, outside of the 1 start this year, he's pitched in 13 games totalling 14.2 innings and has allowed 16 runs in that time. He allowed at least one in 8 of his games (more than 50%) and more than 1 run per inning pitched in four games (about 25%).

How could you put a pitcher in as a closer when even a 2- run lead isn't safe 1/4 of the time? I can't see giving a closer job to a middle reliever with an 8.72 ERA and a 2.03 WHIP even when your regular closer is underperforming with a 3.89 ERA and 1.39 WHIP.

I just don't get it... is this an opinion of Adam Lewis or is this also backed up by other baseball analysists?
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:19 pm

Mordraken wrote:I really don't buy the Edwin Jackson as a closer article. He seems way to unreliable for that role. Looking at his game log, outside of the 1 start this year, he's pitched in 13 games totalling 14.2 innings and has allowed 16 runs in that time. He allowed at least one in 8 of his games (more than 50%) and more than 1 run per inning pitched in four games (about 25%).

How could you put a pitcher in as a closer when even a 2- run lead isn't safe 1/4 of the time? I can't see giving a closer job to a middle reliever with an 8.72 ERA and a 2.03 WHIP even when your regular closer is underperforming with a 3.89 ERA and 1.39 WHIP.

I just don't get it... is this an opinion of Adam Lewis or is this also backed up by other baseball analysists?

This article was written a long time ago, at that point there was other people backing up my opinion, it just did not turn out well.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:28 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Mordraken wrote:I really don't buy the Edwin Jackson as a closer article. He seems way to unreliable for that role. Looking at his game log, outside of the 1 start this year, he's pitched in 13 games totalling 14.2 innings and has allowed 16 runs in that time. He allowed at least one in 8 of his games (more than 50%) and more than 1 run per inning pitched in four games (about 25%).

This article was written a long time ago, at that point there was other people backing up my opinion, it just did not turn out well.

It was a month ago.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Next

Return to Article Discussions