Danny Kolb the real deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Danny Kolb the real deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:22 am

phunkadelic wrote:I have to agree with flloyd here, Madison. That was some pretty fuzzy math you used.

Now I'm curious. How is that fuzzy math? 93% of LEAUGES own him. That means that 9.3% of owners took a shot (not inclulding leagues where he's a free agent). How's that fuzzy? It's called basic math. # of leagues divided by an average of 10 teams. Nothing fuzzy about that at all. :-? I'm very curious to see what schools are teaching kids these days.

1000 leagues=930 leagues where he's owned=93 owners. 93 owners out of 1000 leagues! 9.3%. What's so diffucult to figure out? :-?

I even went so far as to say that probably 30% of owners could use him. If you have a solid team there's no reason to take a chance on a part time closer. Yes, he's getting the majority of opps, but how many games will the Brewers actually win? Not many. Take a look at your respective leagues and you will see that there's not a big demand for Kolb's services.

All I was trying to say is don't let Espn's owned percentage interfere with your better judgement. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Now I'm curious. How is that fuzzy math? 93% of LEAUGES own him. That means that 9.3% of owners took a shot (not inclulding leagues where he's a free agent). How's that fuzzy?

Because it doesn't take into account owners in 93% of the leagues that would grab him off waivers if he wasn't already owned in that league. If I dropped Pujols to waivers, 100% of my league would "take a shot at him" but he'd still only be owned by 10% of the owners in the league...
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jskidder » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:55 pm

it very fuzzy mainly because you are basing it on every league with 10 teams. it is likely that the 7% of leagues in which he is unowned are very small, say 8 teams. in that case there is no need because every team should have enough closers. in a 12 team or greater league there is no reason for him not to be on a roster somewhere. also maybe some of the leagues in which he's unowned don't count saves.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:56 pm

9er Fan wrote:
Now I'm curious. How is that fuzzy math? 93% of LEAUGES own him. That means that 9.3% of owners took a shot (not inclulding leagues where he's a free agent). How's that fuzzy?

Because it doesn't take into account owners in 93% of the leagues that would grab him off waivers if he wasn't already owned in that league. If I dropped Pujols to waivers, 100% of my league would "take a shot at him" but he'd still only be owned by 10% of the owners in the league...

Exactly my point. ;-D The demand for Kolb is not 93% of owners. He's owned in 93% of leagues, but not needed by 93% of owners, more like 20-30% depending how big a demand there is for saves.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:59 pm

It is correct math, but it isn't exactly useful math. A better way to put it is in 93% of ESPN leagues there is a manager desperate enough for saves to pick up Kolb. Popularity does not necessarily mean productivity. There we go.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:01 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:It is correct math, but it isn't exactly useful math. A better way to put it is in 93% of ESPN leagues there is a manager desperate enough for saves to pick up Kolb. Popularity does not necessarily mean productivity. There we go.

Well put. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers