Kelvim Escobar coul be ready to break out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kelvim Escobar coul be ready to break out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:11 pm

You've got to take into acount the Angels lead the AL in errors and the whole league in unearned runs, and their offense has been enemic. Here are the scores of Escobar's losses.

7-9
1-2
3-4
1-4
2-14
6-7
2-3
0-3
1-2

My point is, there's 3 crap games in those losses, the other 6 losses he had, he pitched from good to great.
With his same performance and some decent run support and defense, he could easily have 9 or 10 wins at this point.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:15 pm

That 2-14 loss... He pitches 5 and 2/3rs with 2 earned runs, plus 6 unearned runs.

The angels don't jut lead the league in unearned runs, they pick just the right moments to make them game losers.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:40 am

I got Escobar pretty cheap a month or so ago. I have been pretty disappointed because he's not getting the K's I was expecting, and he's not getting any help from the defense. Also, it always seems that he'll pitch great all game, and then he'll get smoked in the 6th or 7th inning. It's happened several times this year since I've had him, and it happened quite a few times when I had him 2 years ago. I think he's a great guy at the end of my rotation, but the lack of Wins and K's in concerning to me.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:56 am

basically escobar ruined my week in regards to era and whip adter i was slighlty holding on all week...i had him last yr. before the injury and got him late this ye. in draft or fa, and am mighty disappointed...contemplating letting him go, but angels are a solid team...i dunno
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rainman23 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:41 pm

pangbones wrote:I got Escobar pretty cheap a month or so ago. I have been pretty disappointed because he's not getting the K's I was expecting, and he's not getting any help from the defense. Also, it always seems that he'll pitch great all game, and then he'll get smoked in the 6th or 7th inning. It's happened several times this year since I've had him, and it happened quite a few times when I had him 2 years ago. I think he's a great guy at the end of my rotation, but the lack of Wins and K's in concerning to me.

I'm a big fan of Escobar's, but I've become pretty conscious of this tendency, too. I'm not sure if it's necessarily the 6th or 7th inning, but he seems capable of going from dominant to toast as quickly as anyone in the game. I'm no longer optimistic when I check one of his outings and see that he's shut the other team down for 3 or 4 innings. I'll still be covering my eyes the next time I go to check on him. I still like the guy, still think he's got great stuff. But he can be pretty frustrating to root for.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SmartassBoiler » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:14 pm

He cost me both ERA and WHIP yesterday too in my H2H league. He was on my roster bubble with Patterson coming back off the DL, but yesterday's performance clinched his release. He can have good stretches of quality pitching, but he's not having any luck this year, and gets bombed a little too often for my taste.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:33 pm

From Rotoworld: While Escobar certainly hasn’t pitched well while losing seven straight decisions, his 4.67 ERA over that span is respectable and he’s lost five times while giving up three or fewer earned runs.

Sunday’s outing was Escobar’s worst during that stretch, as he coughed up eight earned runs in 4.2 innings against the Diamondbacks. For the season he’s now 5-9 with a 4.13 ERA in 15 starts, but with a 70-to-28 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 93.2 innings Escobar is a very solid buy-low candidate for the second half.
[/u]
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Young 8 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Philliebuster wrote:From Rotoworld: While Escobar certainly hasn’t pitched well while losing seven straight decisions, his 4.67 ERA over that span is respectable and he’s lost five times while giving up three or fewer earned runs.

rotfl !!!!
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 pm

I think their and my basic point is sound. We're not saying he's Schiulling or anything, but if he simply keeps up pitching as he is, and the Angels offense and defense improves (and it certainly can't get much worse), he could get a rack up a lot of wins... Many of his quality starts that have almost all been losses or no decisions could turn into wins, Pretty much the same story with every Angels pitcher this year.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:02 pm

im actually about to drop escobar for his teamate santana.
escobars meltdown his last start was about the last straw
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates