If you could have one player...Any player...Who??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If you could have one player...Any player...Who???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:54 pm

I think it has to be Pujols. The only knock against him is lack of steals, so some could make an argument that Soriano is the more valuable fantasy player, but I think Soriano is too streaky and you can cheaply get a Crawford or Sanchez for the steals. Next year, Pujols will only be 1B/OF eligible, but I'd still take him first overall, as his overall production is better than ARod's, especially with his sky high average.

My top 10 fantasy players:

1. Pujols
2. ARod
3. Soriano
4. Bonds
5. Helton
6. Vlad
7. Beltran
8. Nomar
9. Giambi
10. Pedro

Pedro is the only pitcher I put there, because pitchers are just too injury prone and inconsistent to risk a first round pick on in most cases. Just look at the injuries to RJ, Schilling, Pedro, Morris and Oswalt and the big time drop offs of Lowe, Zito, Colon, and Miller this year. Pitching is so much more unpredictable than hitting that you're better off getting top notch hitters the first 2-3 rounds.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:57 pm

This year it's Pujols because he's still 3B elligible. Next year, when he's an outfielder (at least in ESPN leagues), I'd go with A-Rod.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdh » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:00 pm

Pujols has 41 games at 1B this year, so he should be eligible at 1B/OF in almost every league. I still think he's the top pick even if he only had OF eligibility, because no other hitter combines the insanely high batting average, power, RBIs and runs scored. I would take Pujols first overall and then get another of the upper tier SS (Nomar/Tejada/Jeter/Renteria), most of which should still be there in the 2nd round.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quickfingerz » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:17 pm

Slump or No slump I'd have to say Alfonso "Goober" Soriano (he really needs a nickname)...

Only because I believe that your SBs should always come from a multi-faceted player who can get you stolen bases in addition to other good batting numbers (namely HRs and RBI)
and thus increases the flexibility for the rest of your lineup.

You should have one of the multi-faceted SB guys to be a first place team:
O. Cabrera
E. Renteria
C. Beltran
A. Boone

Pierre is an exception because you can have him alone and be in the top half of most leagues w/o any other major basestealers.
Last edited by quickfingerz on Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:33 pm

Gimme Pujols. ;-D Oh wait, I have him- took him with the 5th pick in the draft before the season ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:50 pm

quickfingerz wrote:Slump or No slump I'd have to say Alfonso "Goober" Soriano (he really needs a nickname)...

Only because I believe that your SBs should always come from a multi-faceted player who can get you stolen bases in addition to other good batting numbers (namely HRs and RBI)
and thus increases the flexibility for the rest of your lineup.

You should have one of the multi-faceted SB guys to be a first place team:
O. Cabrera
E. Renteria
C. Beltran
A. Boone

Pierre is an exception because you can have him alone and be in the top half of most leagues w/o any other major basestealers.

A-Rod has 3 fewer steals than Boone ...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers