If you could have one player...Any player...Who??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If you could have one player...Any player...Who???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:37 pm

oh come on, this is a little wussy question. of course it's pujols. the season isnt even over and he's at .370/30/100. that is tremendous and the one thing that takes him to the top is his qualifications at 3B, 1B, and OF
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:38 pm

Pujols, but ARod isn't so distant a second place right now. He's really starting to hit, and now he's stealing bases too. I think ARod might regain his status as the consensus best player in baseball very soon. It's not that Pujols has slowed down, because he certainly hasn't, but ARod compared to other SS as opposed to Pujols compared to other 1B and OF, (the fact that he qualifies for 3B is kind of BS, will he qualify there next year?) ARod is huge.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:46 pm

it doesnt take a baseball genius to know pujols wins. and yes, it does revolve around albert.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PresHabib » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:25 pm

haha, pujols in a landslide. At the beginning of the season i wanted him SO bad just because he qualified to play 3 positions..wound up trading delgado/jose cruz jr. for him and I haven't looked back.

I think the fun of this thread though, isnt in talking about who the best player is (guys like a-rod, pujols, blah blah will always be number one or two or something) but rather some of the guys that snuck in under the radar or were not expected to do well, or AS well as they have. heres a list in no particular order of guys I really like.

1) Kerry Wood. This is kind of a "no $h!t" pick, but remember all of the arm trouble he had coming into this year, his health was a huge question. I criticized my friend for picking him in the 9th round...i said time would tell who was right...time has certainly made me look like a jack ass, lol.

2) Garret Anderson - He has certainly emerged from being "under the radar" since last september, but I think many people may not have expected what they've seen from him.

3) Javy Lopez - 'nuff said, who saw THIS coming

4) Preston Wilson..as my friend said "The greatest undrafted free agent pickup fantasy baseball has ever seen"

5) Carlos Beltran - a 25/100 guy who hits 300 and can steal 40 bases? Whats not to love.

6) Rookie Pitchers - Willis/Webb/Harden/Williams/MacDougall. Lots of wins (saves in MacDougalls case) low ERA's, good K numbers and great ERA and WHIP numbers. Especially Webb, hes the man.

7) Mark Mulder - 9 complete games?? Jesus Christ.

8) Esteban Loaiza - this really should say "random pod person" because that guy pitching in Chicago is certainly NOT Esteban Loaiza, but I don't know his Martian name, so saying Loaiza will have to do.

9) Todd Helton - hes just another pujols really, but plays one position...his stats are always like 2 or 3 weeks behind pujols, which is still terrific.

10) Orlando Cabrera - while most people watch jeter, nomah, tejada, and arod get drafted at shortstop, few people know where to turn for a shortstop...bu Cabrera is a pretty unknown guy who can be drafted late and put up more than respectable numbers.

I hope these answers are in the true spirit of what you wanted to do with this post, Demo!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LCBOY » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:37 pm

Has to be Pujols especially in H2H leagues. He scores across the board big time. Here is his NL rank in the following stats:

Runs (2)
Hits (1)
2B (1)
HR (2)
RBI (2)
AVE (1)
OBP (4)
SLG( 2)
TB (1)
XBH (1)

Pretty much the NL MVP. Either Pujols or Bonds.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby weitliz » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:47 pm

PresHabib wrote:4) Preston Wilson..as my friend said "The greatest undrafted free agent pickup fantasy baseball has ever seen"

I have to ask, what size league are you in where Wilson went undrafted?? Just surprised me...but I agree, I certainly didn't expect league-leading RBi totals from him.

PresHabib wrote:8) Esteban Loaiza - this really should say "random pod person" because that guy pitching in Chicago is certainly NOT Esteban Loaiza, but I don't know his Martian name, so saying Loaiza will have to do.

:-b Made me laugh out loud, and this was the player that immediately came to mind for me. Why did I trade him after six wins???
weitliz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:54 pm

Esteban... I'm just wondering what his status will be when next year's draft comes along. Hehe, this will be interesting to see how many people will call him for a fluke season and how many people think he's the real deal. We'll see. I have a feeling most people still think he's a fluke but I may be taking advantage of that next year ;)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby PresHabib » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:59 pm

we play in an 8 team league. For all of us its our first time, so there were a couple foul ups drafting. Frank Thomas, and Vernon Wells are two glaring non-draftees as well...we all thought Thomas was done and who knew who wells was before the season, right? We were also thinking Wilson was a fluke of coors field, but my friend took a chance on him right before he lit it all the way up, which was relatively late. Also, some of these guys dont always know what they are doing, there are plenty of good guys left, though personally, there is no room left for all stars on my team, lol.

Glad you liked my loaiza comment ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers