Medium
19%
Medium-Well
32%
Burnt to a Crisp
5%

Total votes : 63

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:43 pm

Medium rare for me. Although the quality is important. I'd never go less done than medium at a place where I was questioning the quality of the meat.

I will also echo the sentiments that steak places are, in general, overpriced. The steaks I cook at home are definitely as good or better than those I get when I'm out.

I'd also like to throw out a vote for medium-rare hamburgers. It is really irritating that you can't get a burger with even a little pink in it at a restaurant any more.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:52 pm

mak1277 wrote:
I'd also like to throw out a vote for medium-rare hamburgers. It is really irritating that you can't get a burger with even a little pink in it at a restaurant any more.

I agree with this, but I think the meat quality comes into questions as well. Many middle of the road restaurants in which I would order a burger leaves me a little more comfortable in the medium range for my burger eating. That has nothing to do with bacteria, but rather beef quality. If it's a nice restaurant where the quality of the meat isn't in question, i'm likely getting a steak anyway, medium-rare only.

When i make a burger at home, I make sure to get quality ground beef from the butcher; I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get some quality ground chuck (or sirloin for those who prefer their burgers a little leaner) rather than just the cheap stuff; the price seems negligible compared to the quality. Then i always make sure there's redness there.
Last edited by Coppermine on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:53 pm

everytime i come to GT and the steak thread is at the top i laugh more.

STEAK GOOD!
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:17 am

mak1277 wrote:Medium rare for me. Although the quality is important. I'd never go less done than medium at a place where I was questioning the quality of the meat.

I will also echo the sentiments that steak places are, in general, overpriced. The steaks I cook at home are definitely as good or better than those I get when I'm out.

I agree but what is the quality of restaurant that you are actually ordering a burger at?? More specfically, what is the quality of "chef" there?? They might only know 1 way at those places. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:25 am

Lofunzo wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Medium rare for me. Although the quality is important. I'd never go less done than medium at a place where I was questioning the quality of the meat.

I agree but what is the quality of restaurant that you are actually ordering a burger at?? More specfically, what is the quality of "chef" there?? They might only know 1 way at those places. ;-)

It all starts with the person taking the order. I'm constantly reminding my waitstaff and phone/counter workers to always take temperatures on all red meat, including burgers. I call out the temperature at least twice in the kitchen. Most customers seemed shocked when you ask how they want their burger cooked. I guess they are used to the kind of places mentioned above.

Funny that this thread is current b/c today I had a lady order a cheeseburger extra well done then complain it was too dry. Sorry lady, no free meal today. Try the place down the road, lol.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:29 am

Fireball Express wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

It all starts with the person taking the order. I'm constantly reminding my waitstaff and phone/counter workers to always take temperatures on all red meat, including burgers. I call out the temperature at least twice in the kitchen. Most customers seemed shocked when you ask how they want their burger cooked. I guess they are used to the kind of places mentioned above.

Funny that this thread is current b/c today I had a lady order a cheeseburger extra well done then complain it was too dry. Sorry lady, no free meal today. Try the place down the road, lol.

That is hilarious...I was a waiter for a while and I loved when people tried to pull stuff like this. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:28 am

Fireball Express wrote:Being in the business I realized that almost everyone likes their food prepared a different way.

On a personal level, if I take a woman out for dinner and she puts ketchup on a steak, there will be no next date. Happened to me once at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. I was never so embarrassed.

I've been gone for a little while and am just reading this thread now. This is quite possibly the worst thing I've ever heard of. I would have made her pay for that ruined steak out of her own pocket, or put on an apron and start scrubbing pots.

As to the original question, when I'm grilling at home, I cook it just long enough to get hot all the way through. When I'm eating out, medium rare.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:28 am

Fireball Express wrote:Being in the business I realized that almost everyone likes their food prepared a different way.

On a personal level, if I take a woman out for dinner and she puts ketchup on a steak, there will be no next date. Happened to me once at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. I was never so embarrassed.

I've been gone for a little while and am just reading this thread now. This is quite possibly the worst thing I've ever heard of. I would have made her pay for that ruined steak out of her own pocket, or put on an apron and start scrubbing pots.

As to the original question, when I'm grilling at home, I cook it just long enough to get hot all the way through. When I'm eating out, medium rare.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:19 am

Millers Bar in Dearborn, MI. mmmm....yummy, can get them however you want. Medium with cheese and you get that little bid of red dripping onto your wax paper.

i think GQ did an article on them
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:20 am

knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:Knapp, would you eat ketchup on a cheese-steak too? :-D

I don't know - I've never had a cheese steak.

8-o ne...never? a cheese steak/philly steak, they gotta have them somewhere in Nebraska.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk