Head To Head Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Head To Head Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Head To Head Strategy Question

Postby raygunpunx » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:50 pm

In a head to head league would it be better to draft non streaky guys. For example if player a has 50 less overall points for the year but consistently puts up 25 points a week is it better to draft him then the guy who could have 40 points in a week but then has 2 15 point weeks in a row
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Yes, the more consistent player will help you win more games.

Streaky players are hard on a head to head team. Just when you give up and bench them, they get 40 points on your bench.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Everyone is going to have hot and cold streaks. In H2H over a season they should even out. For as many times a guy may hurt you from being cold, he'll help you even more when he's hot. If you do get these streaky guys just try and keep track of what kind of streak they're in and play or sit them accordingly.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ThisOneGuy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:37 pm

I agree with Teddy B.

All players are going to go through streaks. If you can figure out when that's going to be, great, but it should all even out over the year and even each week.

What I mean is, some of your players will be hot, while some will be cold. Sure, it would be AWESOME if all your players were hot at the same time, but that's not likely. Just like it would be horrible if all your guys were slumping at the same time, but fortunately, that's just not likely.. unless you drafted a really brutal team. :-b

In short, I would just go with the better player, although picking up a guy while he's real hot can be a great boost. ;-D
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:40 pm

I take the best numbers overall over lesser consistency. If 1 player is hot and another is slumping, you can get by. Sit him if you must.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:22 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Everyone is going to have hot and cold streaks.

;-D

right you are!

except for maybe around 5 to 10 elite pitchers and hitters combined...the problem is trying to draft, add and trade for those players over the course of a season. you will not get them all because some of them change from season to season. and you will be lucky to own 1 or 2 at the most when they are in their prime or generating career year numbers on a consistent basis.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:05 am

This certainly isn't the first (or last) time this has been discussed. I'm surprised to see so many responses from the Cafe on the side of reason for once in this discussion, as I often find myself alone arguing the semantics of streaky players in H2H versus roto.

I digress. The previous posters hit it on the head. In the ever-so-rare instance that you have the ability to choose between two players who you predict will have exactly the same fantasy value, then perhaps looking at their "streakiness" should be considered. However, there aren't many metrics available with respect to this trait, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In general, don't worry about a player's streakiness any more in H2H than in roto. And if it's a points league... who the hell cares? O:-)
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:19 am

The problem with H2H is you can win when your team stinks, and you can lose when your team is on fire. So you play your best guys, and hope they outperform your opponents guys. Not much more you can do. Everyone will get hot and cold.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers