Way to lead by example - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Way to lead by example

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Coppermine wrote:Hahhaha, what a douche.

I'll 2nd that :-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:39 pm

I enjoyed this... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby acsguitar » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:40 pm

What a trooper. That must have been tough
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:04 am

You guys already know that if I was in charge, he would already be dead, so nothing to see here. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:56 am

Sad part is that the thug still thinks he will rule Iraq when all is said and done.

"These puppets in the Iraqi government that the Americans brought to power are helpless. They can't protect themselves or the Iraqi people. The Americans will certainly come to me, to Saddam Hussein's legitimate leadership and to the Iraqi Baath Party, to rescue them from their huge quandary."

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e ... 11&src=abc
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:00 am

I also heard that Saddam has said he wants to "help" us (as in the united states) track down and fight insurgents.... ?????

Also, what's with this amnesty stuff for insurgents... are you kidding me? I'm just hearing bits and pieces on the 24-hr networks, but I'll have to check it out.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Laean » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:32 pm

i despise saddam hussein as much as the next American, but 2 things:

1. American media/news isn't exactly the most unbiased source of information regarding Saddam or Iraq or whatever. This story seems too ridiculous to be true.

2. We're going to execute him? Just wondering, what is he charged with? Crimes against humanity or something like that to his people or something? Just seems odd to me that we're going to start claiming jurisdiction over peoples of other countries now. If Saddam had attacked the U.S. maaaybe that'd make more sense (although I doubt it, it's not like we executed Hirohito for bombing Pearl Harbor), but what did he directly do to Americans? And don't give me the he supported the terrorists argument, because that would mean we'd need to execute the Saudis too, which you know will never happen.

I'm not some bleeding heart liberal or have any leanings either way, I'm just genuinely curious and confused. I'm sure Saddam is a bad man, who probably deserves to burn in Hell. But it's not like just because my neighbor beat his child to death I have the right now to beat him to death.

Am I missing something? is the trial being done by the U.N. or some other international organization to which Iraq had already submitted its allegiance to earlier?
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:44 pm

Laean wrote:i despise saddam hussein as much as the next American, but 2 things:

1. American media/news isn't exactly the most unbiased source of information regarding Saddam or Iraq or whatever. This story seems too ridiculous to be true.

2. We're going to execute him? Just wondering, what is he charged with? Crimes against humanity or something like that to his people or something? Just seems odd to me that we're going to start claiming jurisdiction over peoples of other countries now. If Saddam had attacked the U.S. maaaybe that'd make more sense (although I doubt it, it's not like we executed Hirohito for bombing Pearl Harbor), but what did he directly do to Americans? And don't give me the he supported the terrorists argument, because that would mean we'd need to execute the Saudis too, which you know will never happen.

I'm not some bleeding heart liberal or have any leanings either way, I'm just genuinely curious and confused. I'm sure Saddam is a bad man, who probably deserves to burn in Hell. But it's not like just because my neighbor beat his child to death I have the right now to beat him to death.

Am I missing something? is the trial being done by the U.N. or some other international organization to which Iraq had already submitted its allegiance to earlier?

Saddam is in United States custody in Baghdad, however he is being tried by the Iraqi government for crimes against humanity. He was officially handed for to the Iraqi government after capture and he is only being held in prison on a US camp because there are effectively no prisons to keep him in (there are also 11 of his senior officers on trial with him). He is specifically on trial for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

Specifically, he is being tried for the mass killings of Kurds int he 1980's during the Iraq-Iran war and, subsequently, for the mass killings of Shiites in the south.

Basically, Iraq is made up of three major ethnic groups; Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis. Saddam and his regime (the Baathist party) were Sunnis. Right now, much of the "secular violence" you hear about in Iraq is between Sunnis and Shiites. Kurds are living relatively peacefully in northern Iraq, but would ultimately like to break away into their own country (an area they already refer to a "Kurdistan").

The former Prime Minister of Malaysia was the given the task of assembling a committee to ensure a fair trial against Saddam. This is also a tribunal of sorts because he's not on trial by a specific government, but by this Iraqi committee. Not much has happened, but certain the death penalty is the sought after punishment for each offense. Also, a number of Saddam's lawyers have been assassinated, which is really just slowing down the procedings. He will, of course, ultimately be convicted and sentenced to death, but that may take years.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Laean » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Laean wrote:i despise saddam hussein as much as the next American, but 2 things:

Saddam is in United States custody in Baghdad, however he is being tried by the Iraqi government for crimes against humanity. He was officially handed for to the Iraqi government after capture and he is only being held in prison on a US camp because there are effectively no prisons to keep him in (there are also 11 of his senior officers on trial with him). He is specifically on trial for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

Specifically, he is being tried for the mass killings of Kurds int he 1980's during the Iraq-Iran war and, subsequently, for the mass killings of Shiites in the south.

Basically, Iraq is made up of three major ethnic groups; Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis. Saddam and his regime (the Baathist party) were Sunnis. Right now, much of the "secular violence" you hear about in Iraq is between Sunnis and Shiites. Kurds are living relatively peacefully in northern Iraq, but would ultimately like to break away into their own country (an area they already refer to a "Kurdistan").

The former Prime Minister of Malaysia was the given the task of assembling a committee to ensure a fair trial against Saddam. This is also a tribunal of sorts because he's not on trial by a specific government, but by this Iraqi committee. Not much has happened, but certain the death penalty is the sought after punishment for each offense. Also, a number of Saddam's lawyers have been assassinated, which is really just slowing down the procedings. He will, of course, ultimately be convicted and sentenced to death, but that may take years.

ah. thank you for the info.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk