No-No/Perfect Game vs Hit Streak - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No-No/Perfect Game vs Hit Streak

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Respect the Pitcher or Hitter

Pitcher
22%
Hitter
78%

Total votes : 9

Postby RyanK » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:45 pm

ds209 wrote:If I were the hitter I would never let the pitcher get his no-no or perfect game. At that time you would be playing for pride and it would be embarrasing to be the team that was no hit.

Its not that embarrasing.. i mean if its some smuck or crappy guy then yeah, that would be embarrasing.. but most the time is by rather solid pitchers.

I just kind of see it as, if it were a mid season game and your down by a decent amount they guys been lights out and hes starting to lose it a little would you bust your ass to beat out an infield hit or kinda pull a manny to help the pitcher out.. i didnt really mean you get up there and just stand there
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:Hit streak or not, I'd be up there trying to bust it up.

^^^

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Remember when Schilling got all mad when he bunted to get on and break it up?? :-t

That's kind of cheap too though; bunting to get on at the end of a no-hit bid. If the games out of reach, swing away; at least the pitcher can make you earn it.

I disagree completely. If memory serves, it was a 2-0 game in the 8th or 9th inning against a team that they were fighting for the division title with. If a hitter leaned in to get hit in the 9th inning of a perfect game, I could see him being mad. I see nothing wrong with what was done against Schilling.
...yeah it was 2-0 and ben davis bunted for a hit and the arizona people went wild accusing davis of disrespecting the game >>>B#LLSH$T !!! he was trying to win the game and bunting was probably his best chance to get on and he got the tying run to the plate...go all out all the time !! never give up..chip and a chair and all those other platitudes
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:35 am

yeah i would never LET a pitcher get a no-no on my watch in ANY situation. if it was 11-0 id be out there just trying to save some face and actually accomplish SOMETHING during the game. Hitting streak or not. COUNTERING this though, i feel as though a pitcher shouldnt pitch around a hitter if hes got a hitting streak (or really even if he doesnt) at the end of a ballgame where the outcome is decided, i.e. an intentional walk (or untentional but 4 pitches intentionally out of the strike zone) with 2 outs 9-2 lead and no one on. i think larussa handled it best earlier in the season when rollins had his going. he basically just said, "we're going to pitch to him and try to get him out, we're not going to give anything free, including walks"

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:17 am

No matter what the score was, I would be trying to bust up the perfect game.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Remember when Schilling got all mad when he bunted to get on and break it up?? :-t

That's kind of cheap too though; bunting to get on at the end of a no-hit bid. If the games out of reach, swing away; at least the pitcher can make you earn it.

I disagree completely. If memory serves, it was a 2-0 game in the 8th or 9th inning against a team that they were fighting for the division title with. If a hitter leaned in to get hit in the 9th inning of a perfect game, I could see him being mad. I see nothing wrong with what was done against Schilling.

Enter someone who was at the game:
Yeah, the game was 2-0 with one out in the eighth. The Padres were still very much alive in the division race that season (we were hovering around .500). Ben Davis' bunt brought the tying run to the plate in Bubba Trammell, a player who had shown plenty of power in his career to that point. Trammell ended up walking, anyway, and we ended up grabbing another hit and a run off of Schilling that inning.

So, yeah, the bunt was definitely fair play.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:35 pm

I think you have to play the game the same way all the time, whether there's a record on the line or not. I didn't like how Strahan got his sacks record.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:53 pm

oh yes ..
It was Bochy that orderd that bunt. ;-D

A hitter, any hitter, should do anything possible to break up a no hitter, regardless of a hit streak or not.

Its his job
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:49 am

raiders_umpire wrote:No matter what the score was, I would be trying to bust up the perfect game.

;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:38 pm

YOu gotta bust up the NO NO... You look like bums for not getting a hit
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk