Playing professionally - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Playing professionally

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 am

Madison wrote:Just remember that when the off weeks hit, and they will hit. Happens to us all unfortunately. :-P

Ugh, now I know what you mean by the bad weeks hitting hard. Up 4K the first week, down 1.8K this week. FBT got his money back .... and then some. We're both sitting at a $5/$10 NL cash game with about $1400 a piece.

My hand AA, his hand QQ. I open up the action to a good $75 pre-flop, he raises to $200, I call. Flop came Q-A-Q. I'm overjoyed at this point that I hit my full house off the flop and put him on an AQ at best, where I'm still dominating. It goes check-check after that flop and after the turn 4. River comes 9 and I bet the pot ($415) and he comes over the top to $900. Thinking this is money in the bank for me, I re-raise all-in and get called. $1400/$1800 lost in one hand. :-t
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:54 am

so0perspam wrote:
Madison wrote:Just remember that when the off weeks hit, and they will hit. Happens to us all unfortunately. :-P

Ugh, now I know what you mean by the bad weeks hitting hard. Up 4K the first week, down 1.8K this week. FBT got his money back .... and then some. We're both sitting at a $5/$10 NL cash game with about $1400 a piece.

My hand AA, his hand QQ. I open up the action to a good $75 pre-flop, he raises to $200, I call. Flop came Q-A-Q. I'm overjoyed at this point that I hit my full house off the flop and put him on an AQ at best, where I'm still dominating. It goes check-check after that flop and after the turn 4. River comes 9 and I bet the pot ($415) and he comes over the top to $900. Thinking this is money in the bank for me, I re-raise all-in and get called. $1400/$1800 lost in one hand. :-t

:-/

that sucks man.. sounds like shit outta rounders... but when you hit your hand like that youll be quite happy
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:01 am

so0perspam wrote:

That's one really loose table. 7.5 times the big blind? Guess you were hoping to buy the blinds? That's all you would get with a preflop raise like that where I used to play (they got raided by the Dallas Police Department last night and SWAT was with them to boot! :~( Really happy I wasn't there for that, but now I've got to find a new place to play :~( .). Anyway, that's a steep preflop raise, but if the tables are typically that loose there, I need to start playing at Full Tilt. :-b

Really bad luck on that hand though. Sorry to hear about it. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:07 am

Way out of my league.... :-°

Rough beat, sorry man.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby SkeetNation » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:40 am

I'd have to know the betting behind it, but with an Ace out there and 4 hearts and he having a pair of kings and no hearts, I'm not sure I would of ridden that all the way to a showdown.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckmonkey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:32 am

Don't forget to claim your winnings on your 1040. ;-D
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SkeetNation » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 pm

"Taxes are for losers" - Willie
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Postby so0perspam » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Madison wrote:That's one really loose table. 7.5 times the big blind? Guess you were hoping to buy the blinds? That's all you would get with a preflop raise like that where I used to play (they got raided by the Dallas Police Department last night and SWAT was with them to boot! :~( Really happy I wasn't there for that, but now I've got to find a new place to play :~( .). Anyway, that's a steep preflop raise, but if the tables are typically that loose there, I need to start playing at Full Tilt. :-b

Really bad luck on that hand though. Sorry to hear about it. :-/

One very loose table because it was 6-handed, and there were 2 guys in particular, one including FBT, who would open with a 3-4x BB bet with suited connectors reguarly under the gun. The winning % of AA sinks to about 50% I think with 3 or so callers, so I raised it 7.5x BB under the gun as to not draw many callers.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby so0perspam » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:05 pm

SkeetNation wrote:I'd have to know the betting behind it, but with an Ace out there and 4 hearts and he having a pair of kings and no hearts, I'm not sure I would of ridden that all the way to a showdown.

He bet a large amount after the flop, I raised, and he called. About 3/4 of my chips were committed at that point, so I went all-in when the A hit on the turn, and I guess he was pot committed and made the call.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:11 pm

I played mostly micro-limit for about 3 or 4 months for about 20 hours a week after getting a few months of experience under my belt. I'd suggest starting at 1 / 300th whatever you put in as your BB. So if you toss in $100 then you're looking for a BB around $0.25. Once you have 300 times the next level up in bankroll then go ahead and bump up to that level and move up that way.

I probably wouldn't put in more than $100 if I wasn't sure whether I could hack it or not but that depends on what type of money you've already got sitting around - to some people $10G is pocket change whereas to some people $100 is a ton of money. Whatever you can comfortably lose and say, "oh well, it was worth a shot" would be what I'd start with as my bankroll.

I'd probably start with a few days at their absolute lowest level possible just to get used to the software and the level of play and then bump up to 1 / 300th your bankroll at that point. If you're going to be putting in 40 hour weeks you should progress pretty quickly. The lower levels you can pull in about 3BB an hour with textbook play so that's about 120BB a week...you should double your money in 2 1/2 weeks on average at the lower levels but that earnings per hour will probably drop to between 1 and 2 BB per hour at higher levels (assuming you're still playing better than your average opponent).

I wish I could give you a story about moving up and up in levels but I was doing this more for fun and to see if I could do it than to try and do it as a living - I really like my day job and have no desire to be a professional poker player. But I can tell you that the money was pretty steady even though I was playing at micro-limits and the only thing that kept me from moving up a level every 3 weeks or so was the fact that I kept cashing out so much of my money to spend it on other things. Of course I blew most of the profits on playing in live super satellites but it was worth the experience of getting to play in them. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk