Ray demoted...Sosa promoted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ray demoted...Sosa promoted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ray demoted...Sosa promoted

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:58 pm

Saw it earlier today on CBS...dropped Ray and picked up Sosa. Sosa came in today and actually got the win. Ray owners or anyone in need of saves shoule monitor this situation.
Ragged from overuse and stuffed with new arms untested at the major league level, the bullpen has been at the top of Braves manager Bobby Cox's to-do list for a while. Plan A kicked in Wednesday: Right-hander Jorge Sosa will go to the bullpen, and Cox has told him he will be used as the closer. "I'm happy," Sosa said. "I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I'm going to go out there and be real aggressive. I've got some experience closing in the Dominican, and I know how to go about the job and do the job."
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:10 pm

Cox stuck with Sosa in the 11th to finish the game after a scoreless tenth. Considering how badly Cox needed that win, if someone else was the closer he'd probably have come in.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:43 am

dude where have you been? theres been bunch of sosa threads everywhere....
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:28 am

Relax...is it really that big of a deal?

dude where have you been? theres been bunch of sosa threads everywhere....

I simply logged on yesterday and didn't see anything on the front page. Rather than search for info, I posted up something I thought would be useful for some people. If there were bunches of Sosa threads then why did you click on this one?
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beezer » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:46 pm

I posted in the other Sosa threads so I will post again on this one. Sosa WILL NOT hold down the closer's job. :-t :-t :-t
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beezer » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:47 pm

I posted in the other Sosa threads so I will post again on this one. Sosa WILL NOT hold down the closer's job. :-t :-t :-t
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jh2031 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:44 am

beezer wrote:I posted in the other Sosa threads so I will post again on this one. Sosa WILL NOT hold down the closer's job. :-t :-t :-t

Dude, what's your deal? We understand you have somethin against Sosa because you probably had Ray and he lost his job and you got to your fantasy league to late and missed the chance to pick up Sosa. Let it go. He can't do much worse than the other closers on the Braves. And I hope Sosa goes onto have 20 consecutive saves just to piss you off. :-b B-)
Last edited by jh2031 on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:24 am

One thing I've learned to accept during the course of this year is that while you can make decisions on which MR's to carry based on their skills you have to make decisions on which pitcher to pick up as a closer based on having the job or not.

Being a closer isn't all that tough as long as you can handle it mentally. A lot of times all you have to do is give up LESS than 2 or 3 runs. Since most pitchers have a sub-9.00 era that's usually not that hard. The 1 run games give even a 4.50 era pitcher a 50/50 shot at closing the game. So put even a mediocre pitcher like Sosa in the job and there's a good chance he succeeds over the course of the year (see exhibit A Todd Jones). He might flop or he might get it done but the key thing here is that Bobby Cox is giving him a try.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Return to Injuries & Player Updates