A Pirates Angels Earth Shaking deal.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Pirates Angels Earth Shaking deal....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Just pray you get an owner who isn't all about this year's bottom line. That's the danger for small but loyal sports market like Pittsburgh, an owner can make a profit by just doing enough not to totally suck. If they do it long enough, you end up with a Kansas City type organization, a great sports town that's abandoning the Royals in droves.

Believe me, even though I'm an Angels fan, I love baseball in general more and I love it when the little guy beats the big guys or at least give them a run for their money. If the league just becomes "which big payroll club wins the series this year?" sort of drama, it's no fun.

That's why I'm for some revenue sharing, as long as the $ being transferred to the small market team is going to scouting or players and not the owner's pocket.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:25 pm

Well, hopefully he doesn't prove me wrong tonight, but I think the average fan who only sees him on ESPN baseball tonight probably doesn't appreciate how good Ervin Santana is, and especially for his age. I absolute despise the idea of trading him because I think he's going to be a great SP for years, but we've go a surplus and he's the most tradeable probably. Lackey and Jered are TOO GOOD to be traded IMO, Saunders isn't proven enough yet to be of great value. Colon and Weaver are too costly salary wise to deal to all but the richest teams, and Escobar is showing signs of becoming very good, but he;s not considered consistant, plus he's not young. So anyway, somebody has to go.

When it comes to Lackey, Jered and Santana, it's like a beauty contest that's REAL CLOSE, but you have to pick one chick who doesn't make it to the top two and Santana is it, but she's a looker anyway.

Plus we desperately need an outfielder who can hit.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby machine3 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:44 pm

mbuser wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Not that I blame the Pittsburgh owner in a way. Pitssburgh is a great sports town and they'll support the Pirates if you just give them a sliver of hope, they are sure to be a profitable enterprise. Keeping Bay now keeps the fans happy and in a few years, there'll hopefully find a new Bay to keep the Pirate fans coming, but it's not a way to build a team that can consistantly contend.

let me clue you in on the pirates ownership -- contending is the last thing on their minds. they are there for the bottom line, but thankfully they aren't fooling as many people as they used to anymore. without going into many details, it is looking more and more apparent that they will sell after this season. when they do, there will be much rejoicing among pirates fans

Totally agree. As long as McClatchey is making a profit (he will, especially with PNC Park), he will keep doing the same thing every year- pick up a couple average FAs with the goal of playing .500 ball. He is nowhere near being a "baseball fan", and could not care less about winning. I dream of the day Mark Cuban brings baseball back to Pittsburgh. And I really think it will happen.
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 30)

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:52 pm

Is Cuban originally for Pittsburgh, or is that the Rangers owner won't sell?
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby machine3 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:04 pm

johnsamo wrote:Is Cuban originally for Pittsburgh, or is that the Rangers owner won't sell?

I think he's from Pittsburgh.
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 30)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:05 pm

The Angels aren't getting Bay and they aren't getting MCab, as you alluded to in another thread. Why in the world would the Pirates trade Bay??? He's young, cheap, and a superstar. What can LAA offer Pit? Vlad isn't worth Bay considering his contract. I'm sure they'd be happy trading away Burnitz, Randa and CWilson if LAA is interested. What can the LAA offer FLA that they don't already have? A young stud SS? (they got that) How bout a some young stud pitching? (oh they got better than the Angels can give)

The Angels have a problem and its that they have been mismanaged for years. I stick with players that are way past their prime Erstad & Salmon (I doesn't matter if he's cheap) as to fine examples. Erstad should be moved because fo his large contract and both he and Salmon should never see a starting lineup. They also have made some plain silly signs in and resigns on guys like Kennedy (what did they expect for that money? I guess he earned his money in a few games in the playoffs :-) and Carrasco (hahaha 3+ million on an old spot starter!). Garrett Anderson shouldn't bring his glove to the ballpark anymore because he is just to fragile of a player at this point to last playing LF.

Small market teams can sign superstars (Griffey & Sweeney though it went sour). Also, it appears Bay is very happy playing on a improving Pit team (though their game managment is horrible). The Angels aren't going to go anywhere they might as well try and trade guys like Donnelly (wants out), Kennedy (duh), & Cabrera (who's been great this year) so Wood and Kendrick can hopefully develop for them sooner rather than later.

pure dreaming
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby mbuser » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:49 pm

machine3 wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Is Cuban originally for Pittsburgh, or is that the Rangers owner won't sell?

I think he's from Pittsburgh.

yeah he's from the burgh
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby joeklopfenstein » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:57 pm

Ervin Santana
Brandon Wood
Howie Kendrick

It'd take that kind of deal to get Bay. And this is of course merely speculation, because there is ZERO CHANCE the Pirates will trade Bay.
joeklopfenstein
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:28 pm

joeklopfenstein wrote:Ervin Santana
Brandon Wood
Howie Kendrick

It'd take that kind of deal to get Bay. And this is of course merely speculation, because there is ZERO CHANCE the Pirates will trade Bay.

That wouldn't be enough. 2 unproven talents and 1 good young SP for a young & cheap superstar??? :-? They'd have to add Vlad in any deal for Bay with LAA taking most of the salary and giving 1 if not 2 of those guys. Plus, where Pit is with their franchise Bay is a much better fit.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:29 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
joeklopfenstein wrote:Ervin Santana
Brandon Wood
Howie Kendrick

That wouldn't be enough. 2 unproven talents and 1 good young SP for a young & cheap superstar??? :-? They'd have to add Vlad in any deal for Bay with LAA taking most of the salary and giving 1 if not 2 of those guys. Plus, where Pit is with their franchise Bay is a much better fit.

That's simply not true.

The Pirates traded the heart of soul of their franchise, Brian Giles, for Oliver Perez (who was less developed at the time than Santana is now) and Jason Bay, who certainly was an "unproven talent" at the time.

Granted, Bay is much younger than Giles was then, but Wood, Kendrick, and Ervin for Bay would certainly be a trade tilted in the Pirates favor; it's one that could give it a solid trio nucleus for years.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers