A Pirates Angels Earth Shaking deal.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Pirates Angels Earth Shaking deal....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:28 pm

johnsamo wrote:
The A's never do this, that's why they're almost always in the race to the end. Do you think A's fans were happy losing Mulder or Hudson?.., No, but it's what allowed them to keep Chavez and Zito. A small market team has to pick their battles carefully and know not to get into a bidding war for their vets that they can't win.

But the A's traded these guys nearer the end of their deals, AND got more back than you're offering. And neither were as valuable as Bay. It would take at least one of your absolute stud prospects (Wood or Jered) plus a couple of good ones to get Bay.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Last edited by chadlincoln on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mbuser » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm

johnsamo wrote:When he's up for free agency, he's gone. A few years ago the Pirates had a chance to sign him long term realtively cheap for his prime years, but it's too late now. He's gonna finish his contract and then sign for a big market team for around $20 mill a year somewhere.

when was that? in 2004, would he have just signed a 10-year deal for $15M total or something? he signed a 4-year extension this off-season (and Jack Wilson re-upped for 3 years) -- i despise the current pirates front office, but signing him through his arbitration years was a fantastic thing

let's say you are right and we should be exploring every avenue to trade him before his current contract is up -- its just a hunch that in a few seasons (while he's still under contract) there will still be a trade market for him
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Oh well, my point is, small market teams have two ways of operating... the Oakland way... or the Pittsburgh way.

Not that I blame the Pittsburgh owner in a way. Pitssburgh is a great sports town and they'll support the Pirates if you just give them a sliver of hope, they are sure to be a profitable enterprise. Keeping Bay now keeps the fans happy and in a few years, there'll hopefully find a new Bay to keep the Pirate fans coming, but it's not a way to build a team that can consistantly contend.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:41 pm

Oh well, no point in debatig this... But I'd bet, 2 years from now, Santana and Saunders alone for Bay will look like a good deal.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mbuser » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:42 pm

johnsamo wrote:Not that I blame the Pittsburgh owner in a way. Pitssburgh is a great sports town and they'll support the Pirates if you just give them a sliver of hope, they are sure to be a profitable enterprise. Keeping Bay now keeps the fans happy and in a few years, there'll hopefully find a new Bay to keep the Pirate fans coming, but it's not a way to build a team that can consistantly contend.

let me clue you in on the pirates ownership -- contending is the last thing on their minds. they are there for the bottom line, but thankfully they aren't fooling as many people as they used to anymore. without going into many details, it is looking more and more apparent that they will sell after this season. when they do, there will be much rejoicing among pirates fans
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BritSox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:50 pm

johnsamo wrote:Oh well, no point in debatig this... But I'd bet, 2 years from now, Santana and Saunders alone for Bay will look like a good deal.

Considering a half year rental of Soriano, who with his defensive flaws and big salary is less valuable than Bay, as discussed in the other thread would cost Brandon McCarthy+, I'd take that bet.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:55 pm

jblank wrote:
Tavish wrote:Link??

It's speculation, there is no link. ;-D

Of course not. You just have to look at the deal to see its speculation. I was being facetious.

In a more realistic world it would be more like

Jason Bay

for

Ervin Santana
Brandon Wood

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby nsulham » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Tavish wrote:
jblank wrote:

Of course not. You just have to look at the deal to see its speculation. I was being facetious.

Jason Bay

for

Ervin Santana
Brandon Wood

That's what I was thinking. No way they would do that proposed 10-man deal or whatever the heck it was.

Ervin/Wood for Bay I can kinda see but even then I don't think Pittsburgh would take that.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:00 pm

nsulham wrote:
Tavish wrote:
jblank wrote:

Jason Bay

for

Ervin Santana
Brandon Wood

That's what I was thinking. No way they would do that proposed 10-man deal or whatever the heck it was.

Ervin/Wood for Bay I can kinda see but even then I don't think Pittsburgh would take that.

That is a bit more realistic, but even then Pittsburgh would be taking quite a gamble. Bay is a bonified MLB superstar, while Santana is young pitcher with upside and Wood, while being a top prospect, has yet to play a MLB game yet.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers