Got a thought provoking question... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Got a thought provoking question...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Got a thought provoking question...

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:53 pm

When a pitcher throws it to the to a base to keep the runner on does that count toward the pitch count? Maybe 1 or 2 throws over doesn't have the same stress as a normal pitch. But I've seen guys throw over 8-10 times an inning and a lot of those are delivered with some velocity. For instance, there have been reports that the Mariners want to keep Felix's pitch count down and never go over 100 pitches an outing this year. Alright, so say he ends the game with 100 offical pitches but throws over a total of 15 times...see what I'm saying...I wonder if managers take that into account? :-?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:55 pm

no pitch outs dont count towards pitch counts. nor do warm up pitches before innings. i think you have to assume managers take this into consideration.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:55 pm

Or warm up pitches?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:57 pm

cordscords wrote:Or warm up pitches?

nope...actual pitches to the batter count
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby tomdoyle3 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:07 pm

That actually is very thought-provoking. Pitchers throw their warm-up tosses almost as hard as they do to the batters. And the throws to first have some zip on them as well. It would be a good idea for managers to tell their young pitchers to limit the amount of throws over.

Also, the more they throw over, the less they are thinking about the batter, which hurts them. And, they may try to get to the plate quicker/throw harder to prevent a sb which will hurt their mechanics and control. A lot of young pitchers worry about the runner too much.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cordscords » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I knew that, I was wondering if managers do keep in mind warm up pitches when looking at a pitch count. I know they are usually arent throwing hard, but the last 2 or 3 they put some real zip on the ball.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:53 pm

my pops always took that into consideration as a little league coach, but i think its much different for pros. It should probably be viewed as a sunk cost.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:55 pm

cordscords wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I knew that, I was wondering if managers do keep in mind warm up pitches when looking at a pitch count. I know they are usually arent throwing hard, but the last 2 or 3 they put some real zip on the ball.

The answer I guess is that it's all factored in. If you hear that a guy is on a 100-pitch limit, that doesn't include the warm ups. Coaches don't specifically count the warm-up pitches though.

There is also a monumental difference between a warm-up pitch and a real pitch. Even giving close to maximum effort on a warm up pitch is not the same, because there isn't any stress (physically or mentally). At least the ones in between innings, you aren't really thinking, just loosening up.

Pre-game certainly there is a plan to your warm-up, but it's definitely not taxing.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:00 pm

What about counting times they throw the ball to make a play in the game?

Have you ever heard of a pitching who got hurt because he threw one too many times to first?

Hey Kerry Wood, why all the arm problems?

"It all started when Dusty stopped counting my throws to first in my pitch count."
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:09 pm

its sort of accounted for. basically, they are trying to measure fatigue to the pitcher. the metric they came up with to measure it is pitch counts. inherent in the calculation is that a pitcher will make a certain amount of warm up pitches and pick off attempts throughout the game. they arent necessarily saying that after 100 (or however many) throws a pitcher gets fatigued. they are saying the point in the game after which a pitcher has made 100 game pitches he tends to get fatigued. yes, some games will have more pickoff moves, more breaking balls, etc. its not an exact science. they are just trying to get a general range in case it isnt visibly clear the pitcher is fatigued.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers