anyone else find this creepy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

anyone else find this creepy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

anyone else find this creepy?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:49 pm

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060622/NEWS02/606220439/1001/NEWS

saw this in my local news...

Mom finds a way to hold on to lost baby
Bear stuffed with girl's ashes a comfort for trial

June 22, 2006

Email this Print this BY JACK KRESNAK

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

NaKita Faith Lemons at 8 weeks old. She was 2 1/2 months old when she died in October. Her father is accused of shaking her.

If you'd like one

In addition to the 14-inch teddy bear urns for cremated remains, Huggable Urns sells 18-inch-square pillow-shaped urns and a plush 14-inch cat or dog to hold the remains of pets.

Prices range from $85 to $99. The company also offers various ways to personalize the urns, including with blankets and caps for the bears or bear-sized T-shirts with the insignia of the five military branches.

For more information, go to http://www.huggableurns.com or call 530-245-9921.
Wherever she goes -- to a restaurant, to visit family and friends, or to court where her husband faces a murder trial in August -- Lori Lemons takes her dead daughter with her.

NaKita Faith Lemons was 2 1/2 months old when her father, Milton Lee Lemons, 32, allegedly shook her violently while watching her in the couple's apartment in Wayne on Oct. 10.

NaKita died the next day, and Lori Lemons knew right away that she didn't want to visit a grave. She wanted her daughter cremated so she could keep her ashes at home.

But while surfing the Web for a suitable urn, Lemons came across http://www.huggableurns.com, a site for a California company that sells urns shaped like teddy bears.

"I thought it was perfect," Lemons, 27, said this week. "Now I have something to be able to hold on to. She can join me in parties. I can dress her up for the holidays. It's as soft as a baby, almost."

Lemons chose a 14-inch-tall, plush white teddy bear from Huggable Urns. With a zipper in the back and a sturdy, plastic-lined velvet pouch inside, it is designed to hold the ashes of a loved one or cherished pet.

"My son has taken naps with her, and I dress her up for the holidays like she's still part of the family -- she's just in a bear form," Lemons said.

Huggable Urns is just one of many new ideas being marketed as ways to preserve, display or even make use of a cremated loved one's ashes. Ashes are being incorporated into jewelry, duck decoys, shotgun shells, fireworks -- even Michael Jordan-model basketballs.

Putting ashes into teddy bears that can be hugged or carried around is the brainchild of Alexandra Lachini, 53, of Redding, Calif. But she credits her father, John Romero, who died in 1998, with coming up with the idea -- post mortem.

"My dad was not a spiritual guy," Lachini said this week. "When he passed, he started talking to me. 'Get me out of the closet' -- that's what he said. I'm serious."

She went to her mother's home in Pollock Pines near Lake Tahoe and said, "Mom, where's Dad? She made this funny look and said, 'He's in the closet.' I said, 'Well, he doesn't want to be there.' "

Lachini said she took her father's ashes home, and "he started ... talking to me about the energy of the ashes and how important it was to keep them and hold them."

She said her father told her he wanted to go places with her, so she put his ashes in a nylon purse. Later, he suggested a teddy bear.

"My dad guided me to this company, Plush Creations in San Mateo, in the same building where my dad used to play bridge," Lachini said.

With her design ideas, the company helped create the bears, which come in a standard size and can be personalized in various ways, including with angel wings with rose petals on them and a halo.

The bear holding NaKita Lemons' ashes currently is outfitted in a pink dress her mother bought for Easter.

"I've taken her to restaurants, out to dinner, over to family members' houses," Lori Lemons said. "Actually, the majority of the people I come across say, 'Oh, that is so cool. That is just perfect. I would've never thought of that.' "

Lemons took the bear with her to the preliminary examination for her husband and plans to take it to his jury trial on a first-degree murder charge, scheduled to begin Aug. 2. Lemons also brought it with her to court when a referee recommended that Milton Lemons' parental rights to the couple's other child, 2-year-old Milton Jr., be terminated. A judge agreed.

Milton Lemons told police he was angry and depressed when he shook his daughter to get her to stop crying. Detectives said he demonstrated using a stuffed animal.

"He's seen the bear," Lori Lemons said of her husband, whom she plans to divorce, though she is not sure he realizes his daughter's ashes are inside it. "I honestly don't know if he understands."

now, i dont have kids and hope to someday, and cant imagine the hurt you would feel losing a child, but this seems really creepy to me. at what point do you stop carrying your bear-child around and come back to reality?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Creepy? yes.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:59 pm

Very disturbing. Yes, very sad, but the lady needs some professional help.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:00 pm

Oh man I don't like that at all
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:17 pm

That's just wrong. What happens if the dog chews off the arm? 8-o :-P
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:28 pm

chadlincoln wrote:That's just wrong. What happens if the dog chews off the arm? 8-o :-P

ick :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:30 pm

And you have to think that anything plush like that is just going to get all gross and nasty after a year or two; especially if it's sleeping with the kids and the pets, and getting taken out to restaurants. It's not like they're going to just toss it into a washing machine. I don't understand this kind of sentimentality. Is this really what's best for your loved one, or for you? How is doing this going to help you mourn your loss? Things like that... leave the dead alone.

I for one know that I want to be cremated; but I'd like to be in one of those mauseums or something where people can visit me and cry and stuff... I don't want to get tugged around my little kids and animals. Geez!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Coppermine wrote:And you have to think that anything plush like that is just going to get all gross and nasty after a year or two; especially if it's sleeping with the kids and the pets, and getting taken out to restaurants. It's not like they're going to just toss it into a washing machine. I don't understand this kind of sentimentality. Is this really what's best for your loved one, or for you? How is doing this going to help you mourn your loss? Things like that... leave the dead alone.

I for one know that I want to be cremated; but I'd like to be in one of those mauseums or something where people can visit me and cry and stuff... I don't want to get tugged around my little kids and animals. Geez!

I totally understand where this woman is coming from. I can't imagine how horrifying it'd be to lose my daughter. It would be the worst thing I can imagine - to have her there one day and gone the next. It freaks me out just to think about it.

I'm not saying I'd go as far as this woman, but I can't look down on her in any way for doing this. It's a bit freaky, but that grief must be just about unbearable. Anything to mitigate it - I can totally understand that.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:43 pm

knapplc wrote:
Coppermine wrote:And you have to think that anything plush like that is just going to get all gross and nasty after a year or two; especially if it's sleeping with the kids and the pets, and getting taken out to restaurants. It's not like they're going to just toss it into a washing machine. I don't understand this kind of sentimentality. Is this really what's best for your loved one, or for you? How is doing this going to help you mourn your loss? Things like that... leave the dead alone.

I totally understand where this woman is coming from. I can't imagine how horrifying it'd be to lose my daughter. It would be the worst thing I can imagine - to have her there one day and gone the next. It freaks me out just to think about it.

I'm not saying I'd go as far as this woman, but I can't look down on her in any way for doing this. It's a bit freaky, but that grief must be just about unbearable. Anything to mitigate it - I can totally understand that.

I didn't mean to seem insensitive and I can understand her grief; it is a horrible situation and we all have different ways of dealing with tragic loss. I just don't understand the sentimentality that drives this woman to take the remains of a human being out to restaurants and on picnics. To me it seems disrespectful to the deceased.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:54 pm

Coppermine wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I didn't mean to seem insensitive and I can understand her grief; it is a horrible situation and we all have different ways of dealing with tragic loss. I just don't understand the sentimentality that drives this woman to take the remains of a human being out to restaurants and on picnics. To me it seems disrespectful to the deceased.

Nah, I don't think you're being insensitive. I may be being a bit TOO sensitive - I don't know. All I can tell you is that EVERYTHING changed when my daughter was born, so maybe it's just a perspective thing.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk