Now or never for Teixeira! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Now or never for Teixeira!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Now or never for Teixeira!

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:38 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Geek wrote:He's going to Coors this weekend. If he leaves the Rocky Mountains with only a couple of doubles to his name, it's probably time to assume that something is seriously off with him--either a hidden injury, steroid/HGH withdrawal, or a hole in his swing that he can't compensate for.

That's pretty unfair to bank it all on one series.

The straw that broke the camel's back. This sort of power slump simply doesn't happen to established sluggers.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:With Tex all you can do is pray & hope he figures it out. Hopefully the heat in Texas will do the trick.

Unless you can get close value for him from a guy who think he'll blow up down the stretch you have to sit tight.

Doesn't Texas get pretty hot in June?
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:43 pm

Geek wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Geek wrote:He's going to Coors this weekend. If he leaves the Rocky Mountains with only a couple of doubles to his name, it's probably time to assume that something is seriously off with him--either a hidden injury, steroid/HGH withdrawal, or a hole in his swing that he can't compensate for.

The straw that broke the camel's back. This sort of power slump simply doesn't happen to established sluggers.

And he's not an established slugger. I'm not saying he is. I'm not even saying you can't speculate HGH, an injury, or whatever else...my point is don't just decide if he doesn't hit a HR this series then it's true, and if he does hit a HR this series, then it's not.

That's like me saying, if Roger Clemens doesn't pitch 7 innings, 1 run in his next start, he's too old to keep pitching.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:11 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Geek wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

And he's not an established slugger. I'm not saying he is. I'm not even saying you can't speculate HGH, an injury, or whatever else...my point is don't just decide if he doesn't hit a HR this series then it's true, and if he does hit a HR this series, then it's not.

That's like me saying, if Roger Clemens doesn't pitch 7 innings, 1 run in his next start, he's too old to keep pitching.

He went 26, 38, and 43 HR's in his last three seasons. That's about as established as a power hitter gets before they start getting past their prime.

As I said, people have been waiting for him for three months, with all kinds of excuses. If he doesn't perform in this series, folks have to really start questioning the wisdom of expecting him to get much better. At some point, the patience has to run out.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dc928 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Surprisingly he actually hit better on the road. I don't know what the hell is wrong with him? I am starting to suspect he might be taking something......before.....

Just another frustrated Texira owner... :-t
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:26 pm

The guy had a .929 OPS two years ago and and .954 last year. That is a legit slugger.

People can say whatever they want after the fact, and I realize that not everyone was convinced that he was a round 1 pick. However, no sane person would have predicted this type of fall off from such solid numbers, which is precedented in the annals of baseball only by Adrian Beltre.

My bet is still that he has a good second half. If this does not happen, I would have to agree with the poster who said that it must be a hidden injury or the result of getting off of performance enhancers.

But Yanks04 is correct that even with a good second half, he would be one of the biggerbusts ever for the whole year.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:28 pm

stumpak wrote:The guy had a .929 OPS two years ago and and .954 last year. That is a legit slugger.

People can say whatever they want after the fact, and I realize that not everyone was convinced that he was a round 1 pick. However, no sane person would have predicted this type of fall off from such solid numbers, which is precedented in the annals of baseball only by Adrian Beltre.

My bet is still that he has a good second half. If this does not happen, I would have to agree with the poster who said that it must be a hidden injury or the result of getting off of performance enhancers.

But Yanks04 is correct that even with a good second half, he would be one of the biggerbusts ever for the whole year.

This is actually much, much worse than Beltre. Beltre had one single season where he did massive damage at the plate. He's simply reverted back to form.

But, otherwise I agree. I don't imagine I'll ever draft him again. Even in the fifth round next year, I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on him.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Geek wrote:
stumpak wrote:The guy had a .929 OPS two years ago and and .954 last year. That is a legit slugger.

This is actually much, much worse than Beltre. Beltre had one single season where he did massive damage at the plate. He's simply reverted back to form.

But, otherwise I agree. I don't imagine I'll ever draft him again. Even in the fifth round next year, I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on him.

Excellent post..I don't think you can even cmopare beltre with him. This is much more severe and unwarranted. I will never touch him or sexson again.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:05 pm

Apparently it's now for Teixeira. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby t2green2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:07 pm

I was just about to pick up Huff and bench him.
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers