Anyone dumber than the Knicks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone dumber than the Knicks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone dumber than the Knicks?

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am

Los Angeles - The months-old rumours over the future of New York Knicks' head coach Larry Brown became a reality Thursday, when he was fired and replaced with the team's president of basketball operations Isiah Thomas, effective immediately.

Brown's dismissal comes less than 11 months after the Hall of Fame coach signed a lucrative five-year contract worth more than 50 million dollars. With a reported 40 million dollars left on the contract, it is unclear how much of this Brown will receive.

'Larry has had a long and storied career,' Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan said in a statement released on the team's website. 'We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes decisions work and sometimes they don't.'

After guiding the Detroit Pistons to the 2004 NBA title but failing to defend it, the well-travelled Brown was hired to turn a once-proud but now floundering franchise into a playoff contender, something he has successfully done with seven of the eight teams he has taken over in the past.

'No one in our organization is happy with last season and we all accept responsibility for our performance,' Thomas said in his own statement. 'This has been a difficult time for the entire organization and our fans.'

Brown was excited to be coming home for what he called his dream job. Instead, it turned into a nightmare for the 65-year-old native New Yorker, who owns a 1,010-800 record as an NBA coach. The Knicks failed to respond to him and finished with a 23-59 record - the second worst behind Portland (21-61) and the franchise's worst showing in 20 years.

'Larry Brown is a great coach, but for various reasons, bringing him to the Knicks did not turn out the way we had hoped and we wish him the best in the future,' Thomas said.

Leading the team into the next season, Thomas believes the Knicks will be much more competitive next season. Before joining the club as president and general manager in December 2003, the 12-time all-star guard served as head coach of the Indiana Pacers. In three seasons, he compiled a 131-115 record, including trips to the playoffs every year.

'Today begins the 2006-07 season for the Knicks, and I strongly believe we are on the right track to take major steps in our rebuilding process to achieve our goal of being one of the premier teams in the NBA,' Thomas said.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

For their record this year (23-59 second worst in the NBA with the highest payroll) Larry Brown received $435,000 per win.

So the Knicks will pay Brown $40 million to not work for the next 4 years.

I also heard this news story today: Canada's largest steel company will cut it's workforce by 15% and fire 700 people. This will save $45 million. LINK

By firing 700 people Stelco could afford to hire Larry Brown for 4 years.

The world is crazy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:38 am

I thought the mods get on our cases when we post stuff about Basketball here. ;-7

Anyways, I agree it was an idiotic move. It's not Larry Brown's fault that the Knicks have a terrible team. Isiah seems to be the problem everywhere he goes.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:45 am

generally you need to give brown 2 years to work his magic but isiah was never going to bring in the players that brown needs to turn things around so something had to change. either brown or isiah had to go, and as stupid as isiah is he isnt going to fire himself. the knicks are claiming brown violated something in the contract and arent going to pay him the 40 mil. per the contract, the dispute will be decided by the commissioner.

as a bulls fan i love it...they get to swap first rounders with the knicks next year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:57 am

idiots
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:16 am

Is Larry Brown the smartest man in the world or what. ESPN basically got him this job and he's banking on it for one year!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Minor League Skilz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:45 pm

Dolan=Satan.
}:-)
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:41 pm

dont forget as part of the curry deal, the bulls will have the option to swap next years first round picks with the knicks. :-b

how isiah thomas has any power in the nba is one of the biggest mysteries on earth.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Laean » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:42 pm

no. no body is dumber than the knicks.

but then, i hate larry brown as well. so i think they deserved each other.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:07 pm

So lets see, the Knicks are handcuffed to incredibly large contracts that will take them years to get out of (how much is Allan Houston getting paid?), the Bulls get their draft picks, and Isiah's coaching technique can be likened to a deer caught in the headlights.

I hate the Knicks so I take great joy in all of this. :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:23 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:dont forget as part of the curry deal, the bulls will have the option to swap next years first round picks with the knicks. :-b

how isiah thomas has any power in the nba is one of the biggest mysteries on earth.

yea Isiah seems to be the worst person ever to be in charge of anything..

I don't think i'd trust him to pump my gas
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk