I guess Bonds really is a jerk - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I guess Bonds really is a jerk

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I guess Bonds really is a jerk

Postby timkell » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:34 pm

timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:42 pm

I don't remember the story about Bonds and children's hospital. Is there any Pittsburgh fans that can refresh my memory?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:44 pm

I think the story was that Bonds refused to sign a ball that was being auctioned off for the benefit of the Children's Hospital. The Pirates had to buy a Bonds-autographed ball from a home shopping network and get all the other Pirates to sign it ...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby eftda » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:45 pm

too bad everyone will say that he did it for the media.

he did it from the heart

I was at a giants game and there was this group of kids who were yelling at barry, "Barry, Barry, can i have a ball???"

he was taking BP and he couldn't, so right before the game, he took some NEW baseballs and signed them and told the usher to go find the kids and give the balls to them. (I was sitting behind the kids so yea)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benjapage » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:50 pm

who cares if he's a jerk? he cheats. and baseball lets him cheat. nobody should be allowed to wear that kind of elbow gear and stand that close to the plate. look at his stance--he actually eclipses half of the strike zone. it's such bull*!@%

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bballplaya87 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:53 pm

Bonds gets a bad rap because he doesn't like to deal with the media and that just makes the media angry and portray him as this jerk off who doesn't care about anyone. On a side note, I hope Jeff Kent realizes that the only thing that made him decent was having Barry at his side. Check out his mediocre Astro numbers and he is hitting in a batter's ballpark. Bonds is like the Ty Cobb of his era and I respect him because he is one of the best to ever play the game.
Bballplaya87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LCBOY » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:03 pm

benjapage wrote:who cares if he's a jerk? he cheats. and baseball lets him cheat. nobody should be allowed to wear that kind of elbow gear and stand that close to the plate. look at his stance--he actually eclipses half of the strike zone. it's such bull*!@%

b

So I guess that means that Biggio, Soriano, Mo Vaughn, Bagwell, Everett, etc., cheat, too?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:07 pm

"Bonds is like the Ty Cobb of his era and I respect him because he is one of the best to ever play the game."

you questionably put bonds in cobb's company, and i'm not sure what you intend to illustrate in doing so. though one of the best ever, cobb was a racist, firstly, and a violent one, at that. he was an extremely dirty player, routinely sharpening the spikes on his cleats so as to cut and maim opposing players attempting to tag him out stealing a base. both of his wives divorced him, citing the same complaint, "extreme cruelty". he disowned his son.

something to ponder as you classify the two together.

one last remark: if he would remove that astronaut's suit from his elbow, i would have no problem with him standing on home plate.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:23 pm

I have never said that Bonds is a jerk. He does some good things in the community. My point with him is that when he opens his mouth, he usually puts his foot in it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Bballplaya87 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:33 pm

Dude, I replied to your other post as well. Check your facts on Ty Cobb. Cobb never did the whole sharpening of cleats things except one time as a joke. He was not a dirty player, there is a fine line between aggressive and dirty. The one incident I am sure you are referring to is when he slid and sliced open Frank Baker's arm. The media blew this incident up and said he should be banned from baseball even though Baker himself never accused Cobb of being dirty or intentionally cutting him. I would love to hear your basis on how Ty Cobb was racist other than that he was from the South and even if he was racist how many players of his era weren't. Ty Cobb's wives did indeed divorce him. But his first wife only did so after 39 years of marriage. He also supported his children along with his mother and sister for most of their lives. He provided them with the best of everything. His antics are no more morally reprehensible then some of what goes on in the modern era of baseball. He even served in the military in the middle of his career. He even built a hospital in his hometown and established a scholarship fund for students to go to college. As to what son disowned him, his son James said and I quote " he was thoughtful and considerate". His wife divorced him because he was a loner and his 2nd wife divorced his because she did not like his mood swings. Something for you to ponder.
Bballplaya87
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers