Balco filing is (oops!) readable - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Balco filing is (oops!) readable

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RC » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 pm

DK wrote:These people most likely did something illegal and now will have to go to court for it and risk jail time?

And this thread is only 2 pages?

If "These people" had been "Bonds" there would be bashers galore about taking his records out and throwing him in jail.

Where are the moral police now? These people obtained a grand jury testimony, most likely illegally.

Are you hunting for their heads?

Calling for their articles to be revoked?

What, no The SF Chronicle*?

The hypocricy is sickening...

Agreed.

The fact that the book ever got published seemed like a violation in the first place. This has been an angle that never received enough attention, in my opinion.

I hope these guys have to testify and receive an appropriate punishment.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Balco filing is (oops!) readable

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Apollo wrote:Perhaps the most interesting part is that the document says that everything the Chronicle posted regarding the grand jury testimonials were 100 percent word-for-word accurate, which perhaps gives them some more credibility for the other things they've reported.

it seemed that most of team 25's arguments centered on the chronicle making up stories, this obviously shows that not to be the case.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Apollo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:55 pm

Agreed.

The fact that the book ever got published seemed like a violation in the first place. This has been an angle that never received enough attention, in my opinion.

I hope these guys have to testify and receive an appropriate punishment.

RC, like I said, these guys didn't do anything illegal. Their source may have done something illegal, and they may be put in jail for refusing to give him up. But thus far, they haven't done anything against the law, and you certainly can't prevent somebody from publishing a book just because they got their information from a criminal.

And like I also said, refusing to give up their source (and thereby risking jail time) is considered the respectable journalistic thing to do. If they do end up going to jail for this, it will be for doing the honorable thing.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:05 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Apollo wrote:Perhaps the most interesting part is that the document says that everything the Chronicle posted regarding the grand jury testimonials were 100 percent word-for-word accurate, which perhaps gives them some more credibility for the other things they've reported.

it seemed that most of team 25's arguments centered on the chronicle making up stories, this obviously shows that not to be the case.

I do and always have believed that Bonds used steroids.

The reason I defended him had nothing to do with that. I defended him because the fact that he used steroids means nothing. Baseball isn't a clean game. It never has been. Bonds was playing against other dirty players as well. I might respect the Bonds bashers more if they actually bashed other players, or better yet, Major League Baseball for allowing it to happen.

But bashing Bonds and Bonds alone is the hypocrisy that I can't deal with, and is why I defend him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:08 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

I do and always have believed that Bonds used steroids.

The reason I defended him had nothing to do with that. I defended him because the fact that he used steroids means nothing. Baseball isn't a clean game. It never has been. Bonds was playing against other dirty players as well. I might respect the Bonds bashers more if they actually bashed other players, or better yet, Major League Baseball for allowing it to happen.

But bashing Bonds and Bonds alone is the hypocrisy that I can't deal with, and is why I defend him.

i have been saying the same thing.....
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm

Apollo wrote:Some of you may have seen this at deadspin or slashdot already, but I haven't seen it on these forums and thought I should bring it up. It seems that the government released a redacted PDF filing about the Balco leak. That means, of course, that all the juicy stuff is blacked out. This time, though, those jokers just used the black highlighter function in Adobe, so you can just copy the text into a Word document and read it yourself!

wrveres wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Just went through some more of it, it really looks like the government has this all wrapped up. Fainaru-Wada and Williams are probably going to have to testify sometime under that subpoena, and if they refuse to and don't give their source, they could be risking jail time.

I think that is sweet.
I hope their legal defense costs them more than they made off the book.

I sent a copy of this to a couple of lawyer friends, and I am told this is basically a motion filing by the government trying to force the reporters into court ..

what do they have to hide? ;-7

No where in here does it say that everything in the book is 99% true ..

classic sheep reaction though ;-D

This place is awesome. I love the nitty gritty truth ;-D

Yea pretty much anyone who thinks Bonds records should have an asterisk is stupid and weak. Stats are here to record what happened. Not what "should" of happened.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Apollo wrote:Some of you may have seen this at deadspin or slashdot already, but I haven't seen it on these forums and thought I should bring it up. It seems that the government released a redacted PDF filing about the Balco leak. That means, of course, that all the juicy stuff is blacked out. This time, though, those jokers just used the black highlighter function in Adobe, so you can just copy the text into a Word document and read it yourself!

wrveres wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Just went through some more of it, it really looks like the government has this all wrapped up. Fainaru-Wada and Williams are probably going to have to testify sometime under that subpoena, and if they refuse to and don't give their source, they could be risking jail time.

I think that is sweet.

I sent a copy of this to a couple of lawyer friends, and I am told this is basically a motion filing by the government trying to force the reporters into court ..

Yea pretty much anyone who thinks Bonds records should have an asterisk is stupid and weak. Stats are here to record what happened. Not what "should" of happened.

calling more than half the people here stupid and weak..

way to make friends christine! ;-D
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:56 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Not mine.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:03 pm

BritSox wrote:Other than Bonds, Giambi and Sheffield, were any other baseball players called to testify before the GJ?

Benito Santiago, Armando Rios and Bobby Estella. All of them admitted using performance-enhancing drugs provided by Anderson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1937594
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby DK » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

wrveres wrote:

I think that is sweet.

calling more than half the people here stupid and weak..

way to make friends christine! ;-D

And you're so much better by calling him "christine" and throwing digs at people in basically every post you make?? Seriously, Miner, I'm tired of you. You never add anything - anything - to a conversation except instigation. It's tiring, boring, dull, redundant, and ridiculous. Either say something intelligent - and with respect - or don't say it at all.

You're quickly getting lumped into the Yanks04-lesgrant class of posters in which I have no respect for. :-t :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers