Snakes Gould wrote: acsguitar wrote: Havok1517 wrote:
I'm telling you...Grant Balfour, in July, will close if he's healthy. No, I am not related to him.
thats ED BELFOUR.
Nope, but I do live in Cincy area and I pay attention. I do have some reasons why I think Balfour will be the guy...
1. New Reds GM Waybe Krivsky's 1st act was signing Balfour.
2. A successful minor league starter & closer
3. Best arm in pen when healthy (though the Reds pen is awful and he doesn't have much to compete with) and only has to compete with Coffey.
4. Has 3 major league quality pitches with a Fastball (95-97 mph)
Slider (87 mph, devastating pitch), Splitfinger-Fastball
5. He's only 5'10 and injury history will probably negate him from starting
6. The 1st batter he sees never gets on (something like a sub .100 avg. during his career
7. He's a strikout pitcher who throws strikes
8. Right handed
9. Ryan Wagner is not ready yet, evidently (though neither is the current Cincy pen)
10. He's an Aussie!
...July 21, 2004 Balfour threw a fastball in the 8th inning that was clocked at 101 mph by the Comerica radar gun. The sonic boom may have knocked out the FSN audio momentarily.
If he can get healthy and stay that way I think he'll take the job and run with it. I was right on Sosa & McClung...