Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:28 pm

BritSox wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
wrveres wrote:I do not understand why anybody would trade for Soriano. He has publicly stated that he will test the FA market no matter what. I am also guessing, and it yes it is just a guess, that who ever signs him will have to promise him that he will be the everyday 2B. The White Sox cannot make that kind of promise to him, so I think that if Kenny Williams does trade for him, he would be a fool to give up anything of substance.

Boy the Nats sure screwed themselves in this deal eh.

A team would make a trade for Soriano because they want to win a World Series. Yes, he would probably leave in the offseason. Yes, it would take some quality prospects. But how many chances does a franchise get at winning a World Series?

Remember what Beltran did for Houston in 2004? Do you think the Houston higher-ups regret that deal? Of course not, he took them to their first World Series. And Soriano could do the same thing for another franchise.

Did he? I must have missed that one, whilst I was watching us sweep the Cardinals.

Ouch....okay, he took them to the NLCS.

Still, he carried that team on his back during the playoffs. Without him they wouldn't have sniffed the NLCS, let alone the postseason.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm

eazyb81 wrote:
wrveres wrote:I do not understand why anybody would trade for Soriano. He has publicly stated that he will test the FA market no matter what. I am also guessing, and it yes it is just a guess, that who ever signs him will have to promise him that he will be the everyday 2B. The White Sox cannot make that kind of promise to him, so I think that if Kenny Williams does trade for him, he would be a fool to give up anything of substance.

A team would make a trade for Soriano because they want to win a World Series. Yes, he would probably leave in the offseason. Yes, it would take some quality prospects. But how many chances does a franchise get at winning a World Series?

Remember what Beltran did for Houston in 2004? Do you think the Houston higher-ups regret that deal? Of course not, he took them to their first World Series. And Soriano could do the same thing for another franchise.

the point of all of this is the sox dont need soriano to win the world series. they could use some bullpen, but selling thier future for a 3 month rental who isnt going to help where we need the help is pointless.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:41 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

the point of all of this is the sox dont need soriano to win the world series. they could use some bullpen, but selling thier future for a 3 month rental who isnt going to help where we need the help is pointless.

And my point is....how do you know? How do you know they don't need Soriano to win the WS this year? The window is open, why not go get Soriano and increase the odds of winning another WS?
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BritSox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:47 pm

It kinda helps the evaluation of the Beltran trade that the guys they gave up for him pretty much bombed too.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:50 pm

eazyb81 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

And my point is....how do you know? How do you know they don't need Soriano to win the WS this year? The window is open, why not go get Soriano and increase the odds of winning another WS?

well considering we are the team to beat so far, id say we dont need a blockbuster. us trading away our future also hurts our chances in the future..

im not explaining this anymore, it's common sense.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

well considering we are the team to beat so far, id say we dont need a blockbuster. us trading away our future also hurts our chances in the future..

Yes, because being the "team to beat" on June 23rd guarantees that you will be the team to beat in October.

Whatever you say bud! ;-D
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:04 pm

eazyb81 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

Yes, because being the "team to beat" on June 23rd guarantees that you will be the team to beat in October.

It it a guarantee that if the Sox were to get Soriano they would win another World Series? Whatever you say bud :-] .
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:08 pm

SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

It it a guarantee that if the Sox were to get Soriano they would win another World Series? Whatever you say bud :-] .

Of course not, but it would improve their odds.....THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT.

Nothing is guaranteed in sports.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:36 pm

Soriano would make 5+ errors a game. He'd hurt you more than help you. No doubt. This is a fantasy trade not a reality baseball trade. :-t
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:15 pm

Even if the White Sox traded for Soriano, where would they bat him in the lineup?

1-6 are pretty much set. Do you put Soriano in one of those spots and possibly screw up the chemistry of the #1 ranked offense in mlb?

or do you put him 7-9 where you accept that you're wasting his talents?
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers