Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Idea (Real Life) McCarthy+ for Soriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:52 pm

I think McCarthy is actually to much for him. He's a FA and McCarthy has ace potential. Any team that wants even a chance to sign him better let him play 2B because that is where he will sign. He has said he wants to play 2B and with his bat and FA money he will. I'm thinking either the Mets or Cards offering guys like Wainwright or Bannister. If Was wants hitting I'm thinking maybe Fernando Martinez from the Mets? Though they had better be able to sign Soriano to give Martinez. Teams wanting him to play OF will for sure lose him, no question
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:00 pm

so youre gonna trade mccarthy and/or sweeny/broadway, both locked into the organization for at least the next 4 or 5 years cheap

for a guy who;

-adds more pop to an offense that is already exploding with offense
-has a lousey glove
-who has already said he will not sign a long term aggrement with anyone because he wants to test free agency.

basically lets trade 2 of our brightest young studs for a free agent rental who really isnt adding much to the team.

no chance.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I think McCarthy is actually to much for him. He's a FA and McCarthy has ace potential.
I agree. Why any team would give up a good young SP such as McCarthy for a 3 month rental of Soriano is a mystery to me. Washington can ask for more but if they don't deal him all they end up with is a draft pick.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:23 am

I do not understand why anybody would trade for Soriano. He has publicly stated that he will test the FA market no matter what. I am also guessing, and it yes it is just a guess, that who ever signs him will have to promise him that he will be the everyday 2B. The White Sox cannot make that kind of promise to him, so I think that if Kenny Williams does trade for him, he would be a fool to give up anything of substance.

Boy the Nats sure screwed themselves in this deal eh.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:40 pm

wrveres wrote:I do not understand why anybody would trade for Soriano. He has publicly stated that he will test the FA market no matter what. I am also guessing, and it yes it is just a guess, that who ever signs him will have to promise him that he will be the everyday 2B. The White Sox cannot make that kind of promise to him, so I think that if Kenny Williams does trade for him, he would be a fool to give up anything of substance.

Yep, and I wouldn't trade for him unless he was willing to play center field. That's a question that the Nat's should have asked him about left field before they went and traded for him.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:28 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
wrveres wrote:I do not understand why anybody would trade for Soriano. He has publicly stated that he will test the FA market no matter what. I am also guessing, and it yes it is just a guess, that who ever signs him will have to promise him that he will be the everyday 2B. The White Sox cannot make that kind of promise to him, so I think that if Kenny Williams does trade for him, he would be a fool to give up anything of substance.

Yep, and I wouldn't trade for him unless he was willing to play center field. That's a question that the Nat's should have asked him about left field before they went and traded for him.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...is this sarcasm? Soriano can't play LF properly let alone CF (one of the hardest positions to play). Hilarious!!!! :-t
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Hey may not play centerfield that well but I'd venture a guess that the win shares he would post as a centerfielder (with mediocre defense combined with a very potent bat) would blow away Brian Anderson by a large margin.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:02 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Hey may not play centerfield that well but I'd venture a guess that the win shares he would post as a centerfielder (with mediocre defense combined with a very potent bat) would blow away Brian Anderson by a large margin.

Yeah we don't need Soriano at the expense of McCarthy. We need bullpen help not trade it away. We tried that big bat no glove(Carlos Lee and Jose Valentine ) for 5 years and it didn't work so why would the Sox try it again??
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:24 pm

A team would make a trade for Soriano because they want to win a World Series. Yes, he would probably leave in the offseason. Yes, it would take some quality prospects. But how many chances does a franchise get at winning a World Series?

Remember what Beltran did for Houston in 2004? Do you think the Houston higher-ups regret that deal? Of course not, he took them to their first World Series. And Soriano could do the same thing for another franchise.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby BritSox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:25 pm

eazyb81 wrote:

A team would make a trade for Soriano because they want to win a World Series. Yes, he would probably leave in the offseason. Yes, it would take some quality prospects. But how many chances does a franchise get at winning a World Series?

Remember what Beltran did for Houston in 2004? Do you think the Houston higher-ups regret that deal? Of course not, he took them to their first World Series. And Soriano could do the same thing for another franchise.

Did he? I must have missed that one, whilst I was watching us sweep the Cardinals.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers